Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux mamimum memory single process Post 302143320 by frankkahle on Wednesday 31st of October 2007 04:31:04 PM
Old 10-31-2007
equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Do you mean physical silicon memory rather than virtual spilled over into swap?

How big is your machine?
The machine is a dual opteron system with 12GB of ram and 20GB of swap configured. I want to prevent a single process from getting more than lets say 90% of ram. (maybe max around 10GB). I have one user running a development progrm which has grown to 14.3Gb on this machine which really killed the machines ability to do stuff.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory used by a particular process

how to get memory used by a particular process in unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory used by a process

Hello all 'top' command shows the top 15 processes in terms of CPU usage. Is there any other command in UNIX ,that will show the top processes in terms of memory usage ? or is there a command, that will give me the memory usage of a particular process ,if I pass the process id as a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory in Use by a process

How do I find the amount of memory being consumed by a particular process on AIX 5L.. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khopdi
0 Replies

4. AIX

Process using the most memory

Hi:- Is there an easy way to find out which process is consuming the most memory on an AIX server? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: janet
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all, if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Monitoring a single process in solaris

Hi All, I need help to monitor a single process in solaris to identify if it leaks memory or is using up too much system resources. I need to collect data over a period of time and plot graph for that single process I tried using SAR & GNOME-perfmeter but both of them give me performance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayana
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

CPU and memory utilization of a process, by process name

Can someone please help me with a script that will help in identifying the CPU & memory usage by a process name, rather than a process id.This is to primarily analyze the consumption of resources, for performance tweaking. G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Single Process Memory Allocation HP-UX 11i v3

Hi, I have HP-UX 11i v3 running on ia64. One of my application is 32-bit and I want to increase the memory allocation of this file upto 2GB. I am contentiously receiving an error message of Out of Memory. Can you please explain the procedure what kernel configuration( like maxdsize or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmadamin416
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to Check Memory if Single/Dual/Quad Rank

What command in redhat linux to know your memory if it is single, dual or quad rank. Anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mujakol
2 Replies

10. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies
SYSMON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 SYSMON(8)

NAME
sysmon, stats - display graphs of system activity SYNOPSIS
sysmon [ machine [ -option ] ] stats [ -option ] DESCRIPTION
Sysmon displays a rolling graph of various statistics collected by the operating system. The statistics may be from a remote machine. A sample value is taken once per second. The number in the top left corner of the graph gives the peak value for the duration of the graph. Lines across the graph represent 75%, 50%, and 25% of the peak value. Clicking a mouse button anywhere in the window cycles through the list of parameters to monitor; an option letter sets the initial choice. The option letters and parameters are: [m] mem total pages of active memory. The memory is displayed as a fraction of the machine's total memory. [e] ether number of packets sent and received per second. [w] swap number of valid pages on the swap device. The swap is displayed as a fraction of the number of swap pages configured by the machine. [c] contxt number of process context switches per second. [i] intr number of interrupts per second. [f] fault number of memory faults per second. [t] tlbmiss number of translation look-aside buffer misses per second. [p] tlbpurge number of translation lookaside buffer flushes per second. [l] load system load average. The load is computed as a running average of the number of processes ready to run multiplied by 1000 to give some precision. The stats program is invoked by sysmon to display the graph. FILES
/net/*/[0-n]/stats #c/sysstat SOURCE
/rc/bin/sysmon /sys/src/cmd/stats.c BUGS
Some machines do not have TLB hardware. SYSMON(8)