Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Executable files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Executable files Post 302142756 by porter on Monday 29th of October 2007 12:45:26 PM
Old 10-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous
BOTH
There are CPUs: i386, Sparc, PowerPC, MIPS, PA-RISC, MC68020 etc

There are object file formats: ELF, XCOFF, COFF, PE, SOM, AOUT etc

Then there are CPU modes, 64 bit, 32 bit

And also operating system versions, so typically a binary compiled for one version of an OS cannot be used on an earlier one.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Converting Unix executable files

I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as Word or Word Perfect files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, it cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files? Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding executable files in all directories

This is probably very easy but I would like to know a way to list all my files in all my directories that are readable and executable to everyone. I was told to use find or ls and I tried some stuff but couldnt get it to work. I understand that its dangerous to have files with these permissions for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing executable files in unix.

How to list out the files which are not accessed for the last n days? and How to list out all the executable files in a directory? can anyone help me on the above? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executable files

hello. My question, basically is: what is the definition of unix/linux exec files, or what makes a file executable? More specifically, must a unix source file that was compiled using gcc have exec permissions in order to be considered executable? Is it right to say that a unix/linux exec file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadavkri
1 Replies

6. AIX

Executable doesn't complete on large files

Good morning, I have an executable called DataExport (not that the name means much), but anyhow, it is a job that runs to call oracle stored procs which then export data out to a text file. Depending on which export is calling the DataExport, different stored procs are run. Exports 1, 2 and 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: philplasma
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

File Looping - Looking for executable files - Need help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all, I have posted here before and really was blown away by the amount of assistance I received. I was able to finish my homework without a problem! But, yet again, our... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob07
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sorting executable files in shell

Hi!I'm new in this forum,also in shell scripting! :P I'd like to help me with an issue!the project wants to make a variable with a directory(any) and then print all executable files of this directory,sorted by size!Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

ACLs - How can i create new executable files

Hello experts, I would like to know if is possible to create a default acl rule to a directory. in this directory all files created should have executable permissions by the group IT. i tried setfacl -m d:g:it:rwx /files tried to change the mask setfacl -m m::rwx /files but i still... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: berveglieri
3 Replies
AOUT(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   AOUT(4)

NAME
aout -- kernel support for executing binary files in legacy a.out format SYNOPSIS
kldload a.out DESCRIPTION
The a.out(5) executable format was used before the release of FreeBSD 3.0. Since i386 was the only supported architecture at that time, a.out(5) executables can only be activated on platforms that support execution of i386 code, such as i386 and amd64. To add kernel support for old syscalls and old syscall invocation methods, place the following options in the kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_43 options COMPAT_FREEBSD32 The COMPAT_FREEBSD32 option is only required on 64-bit CPU architectures. The aout.ko module needs to be loaded with the kldload(8) utility in order to support the a.out(5) image activator: kldload aout Alternatively, to load the module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): aout_load="YES" The a.out(5) format was mainstream quite a long time ago. Reasonable default settings and security requirements of modern operating systems today contradict the default environment of that time and require adjustments of the system to mimic natural environment for old binaries. The following sysctl(8) tunables are useful for this: security.bsd.map_at_zero Set to 1 to allow mapping of process pages at address 0. Some very old ZMAGIC executable images require text mapping at address 0. kern.pid_max Old versions of FreeBSD used signed 16-bit type for pid_t. Current kernels use 32-bit type for pid_t, and allow process id's up to 99999. Such values cannot be represented by old pid_t, mostly causing issues for processes using wait(2) syscalls, for example shells. Set the sysctl to 30000 to work around the problem. kern.elf32.read_exec Set to 1 to force any accessible memory mapping performed by 32-bit process to allow execution, see mmap(2). Old i386 CPUs did not have a bit in PTE which disallowed execution from the page, so many old programs did not specify PROT_EXEC even for mapping of executable code. The sysctl forces PROT_EXEC if mapping has any access allowed at all. The setting is only needed if the host architecture allows non-executable mappings. SEE ALSO
execve(2), a.out(5), elf(5), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The a.out(5) executable format was used on ancient AT&T UNIX and served as the main executable format for FreeBSD from the beginning up to FreeBSD 2.2.9. In FreeBSD 3.0 it was superseded by elf(5). AUTHORS
The aout manual page was written by Konstantin Belousov <kib@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
On 64bit architectures, not all wrappers for older syscalls are implemented. BSD
August 14, 2012 BSD