Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Calculating field using AWK, or GAWK script Post 302142614 by Trellot on Sunday 28th of October 2007 03:16:18 PM
Old 10-28-2007
Question Calculating field using AWK, or GAWK script

Hello all,

I'm totally new to UNIX/Linux but I'm taking a course in it at my local JC.

My question: I have been tasked with writing a gawk script that will create a nicely formatted report. That part I've done ok on...however, the very last thing that must be done is a calculation of a particular field of data. Here is my script:

BEGIN { printf("%s%12s%10s%10s\n", "Date", "Low", "High", "Rain")
printf("=====================================\n") }
{ printf("8s%8s%10s%10s\n", $2, $4, $7, $11) }

END { printf"=====================================\n")
printf("Total Rain = %d\n", NR) }

I need the last line of code to calculate field $11 which should come out to 2.5 inches of rain based on my data file. I know right now that the last line of code is only calculating the number of records.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Trellot Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a field in awk script

Hi all, I have a field in the line, let's say argument $6, which is in the format 00.00 If i want to split the field to get rid of the "." in between of the amount, how can i do that i awk script? I have it like this split($6,a,".") but it will get rid of the last 2 digits after the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk multiply one field

Hi, I am a newbie to gawk and I really don't know how to do this... I have a file with several columns of numbers and I want to make operations with some of the values... cat file.dat | gawk -v NAME=2 '/AS/ {TIME=$4} $1==NAME {print TIME,($3*1)}' The result of multiplying the field 3 by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

field seperator question (awk script)

Is there a way I could use different a different field seperator for different parts of the body? kinda like {FS = ":"} FILENAME == "products"{ price = $3 if(numprods < $1-100) numprods = $1-100 } {FS = "/"}{} FILENAME == "associates"{ associateid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angermanaged
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to split field data

Hi Experts, I have a Input.txt document which contains data fields seperated by tabs. There are 4 fields totally Named UNIQUE, ORDER, CONTACT and WINS. The UNIQUE field contains unique ID and the CONTACT field contains data seperated by comma in some records. I am looking to write an awk script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk help for inserting a field of a .txt file in the same file

i had the following type of data file vchrdump: Vouchers For Date :05/01/2009 * ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KANNI786
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating number of records by field

Hi, I have CSV file which looks like below, i want to calulate number of records for each brand say SOLO_UNBEATABLE E and SOLO_UNBEATABLE F combined and record count is say 20 . i want to calculate for each brand, and here only first record will have all data and rest of record for the brand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK way of calculating growth

Hi All, IS there any 'awk' way to manipulate following data? Fruit Date Count Apple 20/08/2011 5 Apple 27/08/2011 7 Apple 05/09/2011 11 Apple 12/09/2011 3 Apple 19/09/2011 25 . . . . Orange 20/08/2011 9 Orange 27/08/2011 20 Orange 27/08/2011 7 Orange 05/09/2011 15 Orange... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniketdixit
3 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Gawk on Windows: Joining lines only if 1st field matches

Hi.. i have two files:: file_1:: mOnkey huMAnfile_2:: Human:hates:banana i:like:*** Monkey:loves:banana dogs:kill:catsdesired output:: Monkey:loves:banana Human:hates:bananaso only when the 1st field matches from both files print it from file_2 ((case-sensitive)) i also would like... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: M@LIK
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk field separator problem

I'm trying to run a code using gawk and I'm having some trouble with it. What I'm trying to do is pull out value11 from the following input: value11,value12,value13 value21,value22,value23 I have successfully done this before using awk with the following code: awk 'NR == 1 {FS=",";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KomjongShawn
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux