Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleting the files in a loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting the files in a loop Post 302140369 by radoulov on Friday 12th of October 2007 04:52:18 AM
Old 10-12-2007
or (assuming rm -i is an alias, not function):

Code:
\rm <pattern>

Last edited by radoulov; 10-12-2007 at 06:16 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting old files

Hi, I have a directory which contains files.This Directory keeps getting in new files from time to time.I want to maintain only 15 files in that directory at any time and the old files should be deleted. Eg: Directory 'c' @'a/b/c contains: 1_a 2_a 3_a... I want to delete all the old... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Deleting files

OK, Easy question probably, I have a directory that is full of like 1000 files. I want to get rid of files more than 5 days old. Is there an easy way to do this? there are like 800 files that fit into this category so doing it manually would be a pain. Any help is appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Files

Hi, I have been working with files in emacs and a file showed up in my directories called #main.c# (the original file being main.c). However I cannot delete this #main.c# file. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bc4
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -k and deleting files

hi everybody, urgently need solutioin aftet i execute the command df -k, i get to see al the memory status blah blah if some file system has 95% full then what should i do and any help on how and what to do ? help really appriciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayr111
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help comparing two files and deleting some things in those files!

So I have two files: File1 pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2 pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2 ref4948 1.1 treehouse.txt 1.6 ref8573 1.5 ref3284 1.4 ref5838... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting files

:confused: hi all, I need to delete all the files from a archieve directory whose filename starts with 2008, 2009. The folder consists of 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. the filename example is as below: 20081111_12_asc_ac_st.zip similarly there are files for 2009. There are around... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi all, I have developed a shell script to copy the files from source to destination and simultaneously to delete the copied files in source. I can copy the files but the files cannot be deleted in source side. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files

Hi I have an AIX server. I'm planning to use the below script to remove 60 days older files. find /path/ -mtime +60 -exec rm -f {} \; I just want to make sure it will only remove the files. I don't want the directories to be removed. If in case it will delete the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
aliascheck(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						     aliascheck(1)

NAME
aliascheck - check for existence of mail alias SYNOPSIS
aliascheck [--nopwd] name [alias-file] aliascheck --map [--case] name map-file aliascheck --qmail [--nopwd] name [alias-user] DESCRIPTION
aliascheck checks whether name is a valid email alias or a user in the password file. It converts name to lower-case before performing any of the checks. If the alias or user exists, aliascheck exits with status 0 and outputs what the address resolves to. If the alias does not exist, aliascheck exits with status 1. If aliascheck cannot determine the validity of name because of some system error, it exits with status 2. aliascheck can run in three different modes--sendmail alias mode (the default), sendmail map mode, and qmail mode. In sendmail alias mode the second argument, alias-file, is the name of the sendmail alias file, typically /etc/mail/aliases.db. If no second argument is supplied, aliascheck first checks for the existence of /etc/mail/aliases.db, then for the existence of /etc/aliases.db, then finally exits with status 2 if neither file exists. When an alias is found, aliascheck outputs the value of that alias in the alias database. When aliascheck is invoked with --map, it looks up name in map-file, which should be a database created with sendmail's makemap(8) utility. Note that maps have a slightly different and incompatible format from that of alias files. Use the --case argument to prevent name from being folded to lower-case before it is looked up in the database. Note that --map implies the --nopwd option. When aliascheck is given the argument --qmail, it runs in qmail mode. In this case, the second argument, alias-user, specifies the user under which qmail processes mail aliases. aliascheck will check this user's home directory for files named .qmail-XXX for various appropriate suffixes XXX. On success, it outputs the full pathname of the appropriate file. If aliascheck cannot find an alias, it also checks the password file, and exits 0 if it can find name there. If name is found, aliascheck also outputs name (in lower-case) to standard output before exiting. (This is useful for Mail Avenger, because asmtpd does not recognize users with invalid shells or UID 0, while MTAs typically do.) To suppress password file checking, supply the --nopwd argument to aliascheck. EXAMPLES
If you are using Mail Avenger in conjunction with a sendmail installation, you might want to put the following code in your /etc/avenger/unknown file to reject mail for unknown users who do not show up in the alias file. aliascheck "$RECIPIENT_LOCAL" /etc/mail/aliases.db > /dev/null case "$?" in 0) # Fall through to default checks ;; 1) reject unknown user ;; *) # Probably safest to do nothing, but could also # defer the mail with the following command: # #defer Temporary error processing alias file ;; esac If you have qmail instead of sendmail, assuming the qmail alias user is called "alias", you would change the first line in the previous example to: aliascheck --qmail "$RECIPIENT_LOCAL" alias > /dev/null FILES
/etc/avenger/unknown Mail Avenger rules for local email addresses that do not correspond to local users, or correspond to local users without valid shells, or local users with uid 0 (i.e., root). Note the location may be different if you set EtcDir in your asmtpd.conf file. /etc/mail/aliases.db /etc/aliases.db Default locations of sendmail alias file /etc/mail/virtusertable.db Default location of the sendmail virtual user table map, when this feature is in use. ~alias/.qmail-* Default locations of qmail alias files /etc/password System password file. (Note, however, that aliascheck uses the getpwnam function, and will thus be compatible with schemes such as NIS that do not keep all users in the local password file.) SEE ALSO
avenger(1), asmtpd.conf(5), makemap(8), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
aliascheck doesn't necessarily know how to parse the particular database format your sendmail installation uses for aliases. Make sure you test it before using it in an avenger script. In some sendmail installations, the alias database is not world readable, which can obviously prevent aliascheck from working properly if run under the wrong user identity (such as the AvengerUser). It is quite possible for aliascheck to return a system error (exit code 2), particularly if you run it while you are rebuilding a large alias database. (aliascheck checks for the existence of special key "@" in the database.) Make sure you differentiate between error code 1 (no user) and error code 2 (system error). aliascheck may not do the right thing if you installed qmail with conf-break set to a character other than "-". Remember that aliascheck does not read your qmail users/assign or users/cdb files--it only checks for .qmail files in the alias user's home directory. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 aliascheck(1)