Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I am one of the newbies, please advise Post 302136321 by ajcannon on Monday 17th of September 2007 05:46:26 AM
Old 09-17-2007
moving to unix

good advice from Porter I would say

I would also add that in my view Unix and Linux are virtually the same - there *are* differences but the std commands for listing dirs, viewing files, copying, moving, deleting etc are all the same.

If you are moving from windows try to get used to using the command line in Unix/Linux - it is where you will spend lots of your time and it also gives you the ability to do things if you do not have a graphical interface available.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specially for unix newbies

Hi Everyone, I got a good news to unix newbies. If you want to try some unix command on your windows' desktop, I can recommend this program to u all. So you can practice unix command with your PC. It is something like using MS-DOS on desktop. Search "Cygwin 1.3.1" in www.download.com It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clemeot
2 Replies

2. Tips and Tutorials

PERL & CPAN Intro for Newbies

So you want to learn a unix scripting language that you'll be able to use in any situation? Perl is your answer ! This is a little intro to installing CPAN modules. If you don't know what CPAN is, check out http://search.cpan.org/. Basicly, it is a massive archive of perl libraries that will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: obitus
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What kind of Linux for the newbies?

I am one of the newbies. I want to load linux on my notebook, however, i am not sure which linux is the most recommend for the newbies. Could you please advise? Thanks you very much for any advise you may give me. Best Regards, SANLEN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbies problem

Hi I am new to Unix and need help. How do I use the $@ in my script to direct the executing of commands on various files. Thanks curious greenhorn (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenhorn
8 Replies

5. Linux

Please advise me.

Hello all, I have a question, and would like some advice please. I am a windows guy by trade....5 years in the Marines is where I learnt a lot of what i know. I took a junior level sys admin job...learned a bit more...and now I do IT security. All of this happened in the last 8 years. So I'm 27... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quality
2 Replies

6. Solaris

2 questions for newbies

Hi I'm totally new to solaris 5.9 Two questions. 1. What is the replacement for /proc/cpuinfo (isn't this part of POSIX). I heard it's psrinfo but it doesn't work. 2. I use ssh - v -X with X tunelling from linux onto a solaris server, but xclock failed. it says won't open display. $DISPLAY is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync tutorial for newbies

Hi. Learning rsync from the man pages can be daunting. I wrote this tutorial to make learning rsync easier: rsync tutorial (rsync2u) The rsync tutorial is for new rsync users. Three small backup examples thoroughly explain rsync --link-dest, --recursive, and --exlcude-from options. Enjoy. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Experts !!! Please advise

Hi, I work on sun Solaris. Am hosting few web services on my server which are accessed over the internet. Now to check whether the web service is responding or not, i first have to log in to the web service URL. If it doesn't respond there, i come back to my server box and restart the service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sting672744
4 Replies
mkmanifest(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mkmanifest(1)

Name
       mkmanifest - makes list of file names and their DOS 8+3 equivalent

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mkmanifest command is used to create a shell script (packing list) to restore Unix filenames. Its syntax is:

mkmanifest [ files ]

Mkmanifest creates a shell script that aids in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the  MS-DOS  filename  restrictions.
       MS-DOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters.

The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MS-
       DOS restrictions. This command is only useful if the target system which will read the diskette cannot handle VFAT long names.

Example
       You want to copy the following Unix files to a MS-DOS diskette (using the mcopy command).

very_long_name
	    2.many.dots
	    illegal:
	    good.c
	    prn.dev
	    Capital

ASCII converts the names to:

very_lon
	    2xmany.dot
	    illegalx
	    good.c
	    xprn.dev
	    capital

The command:

mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital >manifest

would produce the following:

mv very_lon very_long_name
	    mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots
	    mv illegalx illegal:
	    mv xprn.dev prn.dev
	    mv capital Capital

Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output.

Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original  names.   If  the
       file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames.

Bugs
       The short names generated by mkmanifest follow the old convention (from mtools-2.0.7) and not the one from Windows 95 and mtools-3.0.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13							     mkmanifest(1)