Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return value of a function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return value of a function Post 302133282 by porter on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 05:08:33 PM
Old 08-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez
so why it is not run as a child process when function is called directly in the main script
1. because that is what shells do. Smilie

2. It's more useful as so you *can* have functions that change global variables.

3. It means it does not have to fork() another process to do the job.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function return array

Hi all I would like to know if there is a way to return an array for a function. As I know function can return all the contents in an array, I want to return an array type. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dophine
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to return value from function

how to return value from function and print from main program??? And also I need to return true or false... Is it possible? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return value of a function

I have write a shell function to get the maximum of a vector. However, the returned value from the function is not always the correct one. Here is the script: maxval() { local max j i size arrval size=$1 ; shift max=-999999999 i=0 while do arrval="$1" if then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fl0r10
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

return in function

I am using ksh. I want to know how can we make any function to return string or double value. I dont want to use the global variables. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting return value from oracle function

So, in Oracle (11gR2) on aix I have a function like: CREATE OR REPLACE function COMMON.t2(var1 in varchar2, vari in number,var2 in out number) return number as begin insert into korisnik_temp(kor_inicia, kor_opisno) values(1, var1); var2:=0; return var2; exception when... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bongo
12 Replies

7. Programming

C function to start process but to return right away

Hello, I am using C on a Centos box with gcc as the compiler. I want a function to do something, them make an http request to some server (most probably using curl but suggestions are welcome) and return right away without waiting for the server's answer on that request. What should I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)