Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving /usr ... Is this possible? Post 302133051 by blowtorch on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 06:36:08 PM
Old 08-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSmith
The server I inherited has a root partition at 98% capacity. I am curious about moving /usr to another partition to free up some space (1.1GB).
Is it possible to just mv /usr to another slice and create a symbolic link from /usr to the new location and have everything work as it had in its original location?

FYI: SunOS 5.9
You could. You will need to take the system to single user for this (if you run mv /usr /somewhere/else in multiuser...). So as porter suggested, test it well first so that you know exactly what you need to do during the limited downtime.

Also, there is no need to do stuff like linking /usr anywhere else. Just mount the new slice under /usr.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Better than asking about /usr/bin/cd...

Why does /usr/games/banner have a man page??? And why in the name of Ritchie is it in /usr/games?? Man, what a crappy game... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is usr/bin ???

Even as a newly born newbie, I know it sounds as if I'm asking how many shoes in a pair, but such is life. I'm trying to discover java programming with osx and have only previously done simple programming with basic. I have had shell experience with the amiga years ago so I get the idea of using a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nykije
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't delete anything in /usr

I have Solaris 9 box that I am trying to clean up to use as an apache web server. In the process of attempting to remove an old copy of apache in /usr/local I have run into a problem. Logged in as root (or anything else) when trying to remove, chmod or chown anything in the /usr filesystem - the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ms1951
4 Replies

4. Solaris

/usr hosed up

when I give the following commmand under cd /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin #file eeprom file: syntax error at line 1: `"\302^SÒ^D`^\^P\302ɢ^D`(^B\302^Y\302¥à\302"\302^^ê^D`^X^P\302â^D`' unexpected I had restored from tape. system is booting fine and showing no errors. Please help Thanks Jaya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vr76413
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

usr loggings??????

How and where do I get the log of any user is logged in my system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

6. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

7. Solaris

How to link sed from /usr/bin/sed to /usr/local/bin/sed?

Hi Guys, OS:- Solaris 10 64Bit I have a small query. On one server a user is facing sed command issue. He gets error regarding sed for this location /users/hoy/2999/batch5/bin/internal.sh: /usr/local/bin/sed: not found How ever the sed is actually present at this location on server:-... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
13 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
PARTITION(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      PARTITION(8)

NAME
partition - make a partition table SYNOPSIS
partition [-mf] device [type:]size[+*] ... DESCRIPTION
Partition makes a partition table on device using the types and sizes given. It may be used in combination with repartition(8) for auto- matic installation of Minix. You may give up to four type:size[+*] specifications for the partitions. You may also specify holes before, between, and after the parti- tions. A hole differs from a partition specification by not having a type. The first hole is by default 1 sector to make space for the primary bootstrap and the partition table. The other holes are 0. The type field is the type of the partitition in hexadecimal. The size field is the partition's size in sectors. The + or * may option- ally be added to indicate that the partition must be expanded to contain any leftover space on the device or to mark the partition active. Partitions are padded out to cylinder boundaries, except for the first one, it starts on track 1. Some operating systems care about this. Minix and MS-DOS do not. OPTIONS
-m Minix only, no need to pad partitions. This is the default for subpartition tables. -f Force making a partition table even if the device is too small. EXAMPLE
partition /dev/hd0 01:16384 81:40000 81:2880* 06:20000+ Partitions disk 0 into an 8 Mb DOS partition, 20 Mb Minix /usr, 1.44 Mb Minix / (active), and a DOS partition of at least 10 Mb at the end of the disk. (06:0+ would have been ok too, it's just a sanity check.) SEE ALSO
hd(4), part(8), repartition(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) PARTITION(8)