Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can I safely kill vdump?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can I safely kill vdump? Post 302133010 by nickt on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 12:19:28 PM
Old 08-21-2007
Yes, the target is an external USB disk drive (on a networked Windows 2000 system actually). Would I need to check the disk file structure (chkdsk or scandisk)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Vdump of two filesystems

Dear Experts, Is it possible to take a backup of two file systems using a single vdump command? Thanks Wilson (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geraldwilson
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

digital unix vdump restore in hp ux11i

Could you pls give a solution how to resotore the backup taken from digital unix using vdump to hp ux11i. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
1 Replies

3. AIX

vdump on aix?

As far as I know vdump command is used only on Tru64 (correct me if I'm wrong). The question is: what is the command on aix that does the same thing (logically speaking)? Tnx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

vdump to rsh

delete me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john-e
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

vdump or vdump on tru64 unix

i have a script on a tru64 system that backups data from severral folders on a tape the command that it uses is this : vdump 0N /usr > /dev/null (for backuping the usr folder). somehow it has predefined that /dev/null is the tape the problem is that the tape has broke down so i need an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: el97639
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Problem with vdump command on TRU64

Hi all, I have a system with TRU64 system (quite old). I use to run script to make save of important system partitions. The command to save the partition "/" is : /sbin/vdump -0uDf /mnt/Sauvegarde/dump/slash.dump.0 /. (/mnt/Sauvegarde is NFS mounted, but this is no matter) This script ran for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to safely rm/mv files/directory

Hi all, Am writing a script that does a rm/mv if a file exist, however, in one scenario, one of the variables which is supposed to a variable for a directory is undefined/blank so instead of the variable resolving to /tmp/logfile.dmp, it resolves instead to / so the rm translates to a rm /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Safely parsing parameters

I have a string like root=/dev/sda3 noacpi foo "Baz mumble" which I would like to separate into tokens like a shell does. This would be easily done with eval but that would open a security hole big enough to drop a cow through, injecting arbitrary code would be easy as pie. How can I parse this... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
15 Replies

10. Solaris

need to safely reboot to cdrom

I am using: reboot -- cdrom However I'm afraid of causing file system errors/corruption. I've seen many threads say that init 6 is safer, but I need to get to CDROM. Is there a command that is as safe as init, but can boot to cdrom, or should I not worry so much about the reboot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcoreyl
5 Replies
hdio(7I)                                                          Ioctl Requests                                                          hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)