Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching a choice of character in test command Post 302132917 by blowtorch on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 01:33:21 AM
Old 08-21-2007
What shell are you using? Bash allows you to use something like
Code:
[[ $answer =~ [^yY] ]] && exit 0

The =~ operator treats the string to its right as a regex and will do that kind of matching for you. I don't think that this is supported by most shells though.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character matching

Is there a way to pull out a character at a time from a work in unix, using a shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rukshan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test return character.

Hi, in my korn shell I have this code: typeset -uL1 rc read rc?"Insert Y=Yes (default) or N=No >>" If I press enter without value I wish to set rc=Y. This is my default. This test: if ] then .... Do not work. I hope in your help. Thanks in advance. Regards, Giovanni (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching repeated character

looking for a bit of help with sed. I have a file that looks a bit like this: sdfghhjk asdfdfghgj asdfhgghj werdfvtfh edftbgh 1211211221 sdffgfm dfghnhjm dfvfsgbgh adsfv bdhgn 1111111dffg dfv1122 dsgvbghn111111 fffffffgbdghn fffffff sfgh3333gs vdf (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching character

Alright, I am stuck here. I have this variable that stores the word = HELLO and I have converted it it to ----- I have asked user to input one character at a time. SAy, if they enter E. Therefore, I need to search 2nd character and input E there. makes it -E--- (other checkings have been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcsh - test for character in string for if then

I apologize if this treads already covered ground (which I sure it must have), however I wasn't able to determine what I needed from searches. I'm trying to do detemine if a string represents a file name or not (i.e., is in the form "string.ext" or just "string"), by seeing if there's a period... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepstructure
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command with special character not work

Hi all, Case 1 : A=88^M && echo "PASS" Result: PASS Case 2: A=88 && echo "PASS" Result: PASS I would like to know why Case 1 and Case 2 got the same result? What make ^M ignored ? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: montor
6 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-D binddn] [-P path] [-s shell] [-l] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change the user login shell. A normal user may only change the login shell for their own account, the super user may change the login shell for any account. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. Enter none to remove the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. The only restrictions placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the super- user, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change their login shell. This version of chsh is able to change the shell of local, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts , if the permissions allow it. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd file is located below the specified directory path. chsh will use this files, not /etc/passwd. This is useful for exam- ple on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database automatic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -s, --shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -q, --quite Don't be verbose. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shells - list of valid login shells SEE ALSO
chfn(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils February 2004 chsh(1)