Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 0 byte file with no name????
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 0 byte file with no name???? Post 302132513 by miltonkeynesguy on Friday 17th of August 2007 08:01:47 AM
Old 08-17-2007
I searched in google for deleting a file using inode...

I have managed to delete the file using the following...

by inode

#ls -i
#find . -inum 968746 -exec rm -i {} \;

Thanks for the idea Robotronic :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find if a file is zero byte or not?

hi, How to check if a file or files are of zero bytes and if yes, then to print their names? Ashu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp 0 byte file

I have some clients uploading 0byte files to my ftp server unfortunately they dial in to an isp first so I'm not having any luck figuring out where they are coming from. I'm looking for a way to have the ftp server reject 0 byte files I checked man on vsftpd and did not see anything is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjmill1979
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete zero byte file

Hello I have a requirement where i need to find the zero byte size file in the directory and need to delete that zero byte file. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need specific byte positions of a file

Hello , I need to extract data from specific byte positions of a file. I have tried the below command awk ' { printf "%s", substr($0, 642363,642369}' filename to extract data between byte positions 642363 and 642369 . However I did not get the expected result. I am new to awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file for non-zero byte

Hi, An 'If' clause has to be executed if file1.txt has any contents in it. Suggest us... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavnayas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl- Output file is always 0 byte

Hi all, I am new to perl programming. However i have a script that connects to the database and spools that into an output file. Strange thing is that sometimes this script works and sometimes the ouput spool file is always 0 byte. I have verified the sql query and the query always returns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Compressed byte offset from .gz file

Hi , I have a .gz file whose contents look like below. data1^filename1 data2^filename2. .. . . Is it possible to find out the byte offset of each record from the .gz file. Like in an uncompressed file. grep -nb "Filename" give the byte offset of the record in this case. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logrotate 0 byte file

Hello, For various reasons I decided to rebuild my log server on a new microSD. To simplify matters I restored a backed up copy of the appropriate config files and uploaded them to the new log server once syslog-ng was setup. The issue I am running into now is when logrotate compresses the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyUserName7000
3 Replies
FSDB(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   FSDB(8)

NAME
fsdb -- FFS debugging/editing tool SYNOPSIS
fsdb [-dFn] -f fsname DESCRIPTION
fsdb opens fsname (usually a raw disk partition) and runs a command loop allowing manipulation of the file system's inode data. You are prompted to enter a command with ``fsdb (inum X)>'' where X is the currently selected i-number. The initial selected inode is the root of the filesystem (i-number 2). The command processor uses the editline(3) library, so you can use command line editing to reduce typing if desired. When you exit the command loop, the file system superblock is marked dirty and any buffered blocks are written to the file system. The -d option enables additional debugging output (which comes primarily from fsck(8)-derived code). The -F option indicates that filesystem is a file system image, rather than a raw character device. It will be accessed 'as-is', and no attempts will be made to read a disklabel. The -n option disables writing to the device, preventing any changes from being made to the filesystem. COMMANDS
Besides the built-in editline(3) commands, fsdb supports these commands: help Print out the list of accepted commands. inode i-number Select inode i-number as the new current inode. back Revert to the previously current inode. clri Clear the current inode. lookup name cd name Find name in the current directory and make its inode the current inode. Name may be a multi-component name or may begin with slash to indicate that the root inode should be used to start the lookup. If some component along the pathname is not found, the last valid directory encountered is left as the active inode. This command is valid only if the starting inode is a directory. active print Print out the active inode. uplink Increment the active inode's link count. downlink Decrement the active inode's link count. linkcount number Set the active inode's link count to number. ls List the current inode's directory entries. This command is valid only if the current inode is a directory. blks List the current inode's blocks numbers. findblk disk block number ... Find the inode(s) owning the specified disk block(s) number(s). Note that these are not absolute disk blocks numbers, but offsets from the start of the partition. rm name del name Remove the entry name from the current directory inode. This command is valid only if the current inode is a directory. ln ino name Create a link to inode ino under the name name in the current directory inode. This command is valid only if the current inode is a directory. chinum dirslot inum Change the i-number in directory entry dirslot to inum. chname dirslot name Change the name in directory entry dirslot to name. This command cannot expand a directory entry. You can only rename an entry if the name will fit into the existing directory slot. chtype type Change the type of the current inode to type. type may be one of: file, dir, socket, or fifo. chmod mode Change the mode bits of the current inode to mode. You cannot change the file type with this subcommand; use chtype to do that. chflags flags Change the file flags of the current inode to flags. chown uid Change the owner of the current inode to uid. chgrp gid Change the group of the current inode to gid. chgen gen Change the generation number of the current inode to gen. mtime time ctime time atime time Change the modification, change, or access time (respectively) on the current inode to time. Time should be in the format YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[.nsec] where nsec is an optional nanosecond specification. If no nanoseconds are specified, the mtimensec, ctimensec, or atimensec field will be set to zero. quit, q, exit, <EOF> Exit the program. SEE ALSO
editline(3), fs(5), clri(8), fsck(8) HISTORY
fsdb uses the source code for fsck(8) to implement most of the file system manipulation code. The remainder of fsdb first appeared in NetBSD 1.1. WARNING
Use this tool with extreme caution -- you can damage an FFS file system beyond what fsck(8) can repair. BUGS
Manipulation of ``short'' symlinks doesn't work (in particular, don't try changing a symlink's type). You must specify modes as numbers rather than symbolic names. There are a bunch of other things that you might want to do which fsdb doesn't implement. BSD
January 3, 2004 BSD