Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RIP listeners
Special Forums IP Networking RIP listeners Post 302132456 by veccinho on Friday 17th of August 2007 03:34:44 AM
Old 08-17-2007
RIP listeners

Hi!
I have to find out if RIP listeners are enabled on some of UNIX servers. They are all running Tru64.
Tnx!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX listeners?

I have a file directory which I want to monitor - when a new file arrives I want to start a script. Are there any utilities which can do this (aside from DB2, Oracle, Websphere, etc). I just want a "simple" listener which will invoke a script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edibob
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Enabling MQ Listeners

Hi I've been trying to change the services for MQ listeners using inetaconv and inetadm. The MQ was already installed and Im trying to change the QManager name. Ive creted the appropriate files (MQSeries-tcp.xml) and am now trying to enable MQSeries and then refresh the service: inetadm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy_mega
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable RIP in SCO Uniix

Is it possible to switch off RIP protocol in SCO Unix - if so how's it done ?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dewi.edwards
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 listeners in a port

Hi, Is it possible to have 2 programs to listen in 1 port? the only job of that other program is to record or monitor down any request it recieves to that specific port. Is that possible? Won't it cause any conflicts? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fif14344
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need your help about port listeners

Hi guys, Im new on unix. but I need your help. I have a windows program that is querying data from unix computer through winsock, this unix computer is bought from Japan in 1995. All the guys who are in charge of this have already resigned. The problem is this winodws program is developed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fif14344
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

RIP configuration in RHEL 6.3

Hi, Can someone please help me configuring RIP (Routing Information Protocol v2 ). I have tried few manuals and posts from networking sites and i didnt get a clear picture. This is what i have done: 1. Installed routed package and started routed service. however, Dynamic routes are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddybs
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 RIP-2 ??

We have had a security scan completed on our solaris 10 systems and several of them came back with "This host is running a RIP-2 agent. RIP-2 requests can be authenticated" How do i verify that it is using authentication? Or see if it is running RIP-2 at all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
3 Replies
IRDPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IRDPD(8)

NAME
irdpd - internet router discovery protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
irdpd [-bsd] [-U udp-device] [-I ip-device] [-o priority-offset] DESCRIPTION
Irdpd looks for routers. This should be a simple task, but many routers are hard to find because they do not implement the router discov- ery protocol. This daemon collects information that routers do send out and makes it available. At startup irdpd sends out several router solicitation broadcasts. A good router should respond to this with a router advertisement. If a router advertisement arrives then no more solicitations are sent. The TCP/IP server has filled its routing table with the info from the advertisement, so it now has at least one router. If the advertisement is sent by a genuine router (the sender is in the table) then the irdpd daemon goes dormant for the time the advert is valid. Routers send new adverts periodically, keeping the daemon silent. Otherwise irdpd will listen for RIP (Router Information Protocol) packets. These packets are sent between routers to exchange routing information. Irdpd uses this information to build a routing table. Every now and then a router advertisement is sent to the local host to give it router information build from the RIP packets. Lastly, if a router solicitation arrives and there is no router around that sends advertisements, then irdpd sends an advertisement to the requestor. Note that this is a direct violation of RFC1256, as no host is supposed to sent those adverts. But alas the world is not always perfect, and those adverts make booting hosts find routers quickly with this help from their brothers. (Of course, they will lose the router soon if they don't have an irdpd daemon themselves.) OPTIONS
-b Broadcast advertisements instead of sending them to the local host only. This may be used to keep (non-Minix) hosts alive on a net without adverts. -s Be silent, do not send advertisements to hosts that ask for them. -d Debug mode, tell where info is coming from and where it is sent. Debugging can also be turned on at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off with SIGUSR2. -o priority-offset Offset used to make the gateway's preferences collected from RIP packets look worse than those found in genuine router adverts. By default -1024. SEE ALSO
set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), nonamed(8), rarpd(8). BUGS
Under standard Minix this daemon can't listen to two both IRDP and RIP at the same time, so it starts out with IRDP. It switches over to RIP if it can't find a router, or if it threatens to lose its router. It does not switch back. Irdpd may help a host that should not be helped, i.e. if it doesn't have an irdpd daemon with RIP collecting trickery. It will make System Administrators pull out their remaining hair trying to find out why a host can access outside networks for a some time after boot, but goes blind afterwards. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) IRDPD(8)