Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once Post 302131521 by sudheshnaiyer on Saturday 11th of August 2007 01:46:51 PM
Old 08-11-2007
count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

if search string is found.

eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa"

aaa
bbb
ccc
aaa

File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa"

aaa
bbb
ccc
aaa
aaa

File3:
bbb
ccc

But need the count of files which has the occurance of "aaa". In the above example, it should
give me 2 --> (File1 and File2).

It should not give me 5 since "aaa" occured 2 times in File1 and occured 3 times in File2.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi, I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this : #! /opt/exp/bin/perl print "Enter a string or line : "; $string = <STDIN>; chop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files with only the partial file name

I have 1800 files in a directory. The file name is like out_cpty_XXXX. The "XXXX" vaires from file to file. I want to get the count of files with file name out_cpty_XXXX. How to get the count with just the partial file name? Any help would be appreciated? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from multiple file based on line count number

Hi, I search all forum, but I can not find solutions of my problem :( I have multiple files (5000 files), inside there is this data : FILE 1: 1195.921 -898.995 0.750312E-02-0.497526E-02 0.195382E-05 0.609417E-05 -2021.287 1305.479-0.819754E-02 0.107572E-01 0.313018E-05 0.885066E-05 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search number of occurrences of a particular string in a file through vi editor?

i have one file, i am doing 'vi Filename' now i want to search for particular string and i want to know how many times that string occurs in whole file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence of a string in file

if there's a file containing: money king money queen money cat money also money king all those strings are on one line in the file. how can i find out how many times "money king" shows up in the line? egrep -c "money king" wont work. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in printing n number of lines if a search string matches in a file

Hi I have below script which is used to grep specific errors and if error string matches send an email alert. Script is working fine , however , i wish to print next 10 lines of the string match to get the details of error in the email alert Current code:- #!/bin/bash tail -Fn0 --retry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha0785
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of single quotes in a string

i need to be able to count the number of single quotes ' in the entire string below: "description":"DevOps- Test VM's, System Admins Test VM's ", awk can most likely do this, but here's my attempt using egrep: echo "${STRING}" | egrep -wc '"'"\'"'"' or echo "${STRING}" | egrep -wc... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
11 Replies
mdfind(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 mdfind(1)

NAME
mdfind -- finds files matching a given query SYNOPSIS
mdfind [-live] [-count] [-onlyin directory] [-name fileName] query DESCRIPTION
The mdfind command consults the central metadata store and returns a list of files that match the given metadata query. The query can be a string or a query expression. The following options are available: -0 Prints an ASCII NUL character after each result path. This is useful when used in conjunction with xargs -0. -live Causes the mdfind command to provide live-updates to the number of files matching the query. When an update causes the query results to change the number of matches is updated. The find can be cancelled by typing ctrl-C. -count Causes the mdfind command to output the total number of matches, instead of the path to the matching items. -onlyin dir Limit the scope of the search to the directory specified. -name fileName Searches for matching file names only. -literal Force the provided query string to be taken as a literal query string, without interpretation. -interpret Force the provided query string to be interpreted as if the user had typed the string into the Spotlight menu. For example, the string "search" would produce the following query string: (* = search* cdw || kMDItemTextContent = search* cdw) EXAMPLES
The following examples are shown as given to the shell. This returns all files with any metadata attribute value matching the string "image": mdfind image This returns all files that contain "MyFavoriteAuthor" in the kMDItemAuthor metadata attribute: mdfind "kMDItemAuthors == '*MyFavoriteAuthor*'" This returns all files with any metadata attribute value matching the string "skateboard". The find continues to run after gathering the initial results, providing a count of the number of files that match the query. mdfind -live skateboard To get a list of the available attributes for use in constructing queries, see mdimport(1), particularly the -X switch. SEE ALSO
mdimport(1), mdls(1), mdutil(1), xargs(1) Mac OS X June 10, 2004 Mac OS X