Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Shell script vs Java
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell script vs Java Post 302131496 by navojit dutta on Saturday 11th of August 2007 07:44:44 AM
Old 08-11-2007
true...guys...let me tell u a bit detail...its still in devolopment fron...when in production there will not be a constraint from the point who will be supporting it....

which will be better according to you guys in terms of database interactions....unix has sqlplus.....but does unix have exception handling that java does with ease.....?

In an ongoing basis its mostly that the files going to be increasing as the project deals mostly roams around file handlings and constant database interactions.

will unix shell script able to maintane its performance?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Shell Script from Java

Hi How can I call a .sh (shell script) from a java procedure? Is this possible at all? Please tell me. Thanks. Asty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asty
3 Replies

2. Programming

exit status running java classpath in unix shell

I have a java classpath running inside of a unix shell script. During my testing it will error with lines that show an example like this below. java.io.FileNotFoundException error at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:129), ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmcds
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a UNIX shell in Java

Hi, I need to simulate the machine's native shell (sh), for that I open up a UNIX shell in my Java program. My code works fine with windows shell ('cmd') but with unix ('sh') I failed to retrieve the machine's prompt. I believe that the issue is unix-related and that the process I launched has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guyi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call Java by using shell script

Hi All, I am new to shell script, just wanted you guy to help. How do i call a java program by using shell script, pls give some samle code for it, thank you ver much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaabbb123123
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Java or C for creating a unix shell?

Hi, Great to find this forum! I'm a complete newbie to unix, and am having a hard time finding my way around. Firstly, I've been reading something about c shell programming being one tenth the size of c programming done on unix.....I couldn't figure what that meant, but there were two... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell script from java

Hello All, Hope all is well. I was trying to scratch my head here with simple problem of running Shell script in Java. I tried to google and look through forums but was unable to understand how to solve it. Here is my simple Java class, which resides in different directory then my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samshaw
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

run shell script in java?

hi, how to run shell script in java? i have script a.sh which takes 1 argument as input and returns exit code integer. how to handle it in java. should i have to invoke process to execute it and then wait til it completes ? please explain with code thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Java Method from UNIX using shell script

Hi All, I need to call a java method from a shell script. I know we can use the command java ClassName to call the main method in it. But I need to call another method that is there in the class and pass an email to it. Can I use java ClassName.MethodName(email) Any help will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulK
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All, well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this... Please see the below details...and read the details carefully. I have written some code, logic is 1)from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

10. Programming

Script Shell in java code

Hello, This is my script shell: echo Mon premier script echo Liste des fichiers : ls -la exit 0 This is my code java: public class test { public static void main(String args) { try { Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("sh script1.sh"); } catch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
2 Replies
netid(4)							   File Formats 							  netid(4)

NAME
netid - netname database SYNOPSIS
/etc/netid DESCRIPTION
The netid file is a local source of information on mappings between netnames (see secure_rpc(3NSL)) and user ids or hostnames in the local domain. The netid file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, the network source: NIS or NIS+. The publickey entry in the nss- witch.conf (see nsswitch.conf(4)) file determines which of these sources will be queried by the system to translate netnames to local user ids or hostnames. Each entry in the netid file is a single line of the form: netname uid:gid, gid, gid... or netname 0:hostname The first entry associates a local user id with a netname. The second entry associates a hostname with a netname. The netid file field descriptions are as follows: netname The operating system independent network name for the user or host. netname has one of two formats. The format used to specify a host is of the form: unix.hostname@domain where hostname is the name of the host and domain is the network domain name. The format used to specify a user id is of the form: unix.uid@domain where uid is the numerical id of the user and domain is the network domain name. uid The numerical id of the user (see passwd(4)). When specifying a host name, uid is always zero. group The numerical id of the group the user belongs to (see group(4)). Several groups, separated by commas, may be listed for a single uid. hostname The local hostname (see hosts(4)). Blank lines are ignored. Any part of a line to the right of a `#' symbol is treated as a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample netid file. Here is a sample netid file: unix.789@West.Sun.COM 789:30,65 unix.123@Bldg_xy.Sun.COM 123:20,1521 unix.candlestick@campus1.bayarea.EDU 0:candlestick FILES
/etc/group groups file /etc/hosts hosts database /etc/netid netname database /etc/passwd password file /etc/publickey public key database SEE ALSO
netname2user(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), group(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), publickey(4) SunOS 5.10 23 May 1994 netid(4)