Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: odd ftp problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers odd ftp problem Post 302128422 by LisaS on Tuesday 24th of July 2007 06:44:03 PM
Old 07-24-2007
If I try to "sign on" the ftp session with user id "ftp" - it seems to assume a guest login not a named user login.
---
/home/ftp> ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.xxx.edu.
220 hqpxxx01.xxx.edu FTP server (Revision 1.1 Version wuftpd-2.6.1(PHNE_34698) F
ri Nov 10 10:21:03 GMT 2006) ready.
Name (localhost:ftp): ftp
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:

---

On the other hand, when I tried this same thing to the "old host", I got the same guest result.
Lisa

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP problem

Hi all, I am ftp'ing from HP-UX 11.0 to an AS400 server. If I do an 'nlist' command on the remote AS400, a listing of files is produced to the screen as you would expect. I then try to bring a listing to the local HP-UX server using 'nlist . localfile.txt'. I get the following response: ftp>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. Linux

odd telnet problem

Hey, I've got a RH9 box running telnet-server 0.17-25. Now i don't know what the problem is and i've been reading all night trying to find somthing like it. I am able to open a telnet session on the box using localhost and 10.10.10.6(machines address) but if i try to do it from another... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp problem

hi i have written a shell to automate the ftp process for the particular file.iam getting errors when try to ftp it.And i am cant get why the lcd is not being taken properly as it is taking during runtime.can anyone give me a solution here its my code DATE=`date '+%d_%m_%Y'`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cskumar
1 Replies

4. Linux

Odd WLAN Device Problem

I'm trying to help convert my boss over to Linux. He has an HP/Compaq PC on which he installed Fedora Core 4 on. It's got a Linksys wireless card in it and we're using the NDIS wrapper to load the Windows driver for the chipset on that card. 'iwconfig' sees the card. We can configure the card. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Problem

Hello experts, I've got the following script that is supposed to FTP a file to another box. #!/usr/bin/ksh while read line do HOST=`echo "$line" | cut -d" " -f1` USER=`echo "$line" | cut -d" " -f2` PASSWD=`echo "$line" | cut -d" " -f3` PATH=`echo "$line" | cut -d" " -f4` done <... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with ftp

hi, I have two linux systems -server1, server2. From server1 to server2, I'm able transfer data using ftp, but server2 to server1 I'm unable to do the same.in this situation I'm getting an error message: port 543 error: connection refused. Even Talk command also working in server2 but not in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with ftp

hi there here is my problem i have a shell that copy files from unix to a shared linux samba (with rcp) i will change my linux machine with a windows one and saw rcp didnt work anymore ... so i tried ftp and saw it worked with these following commands ftp -niv <<fin open 192.9.200.105 user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzh35
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

odd problem in read lines from file

Hi, I wrote a small program to read lines from a file and count the lines. The program is as below: filename=$1 count=0 cat $filename | while read -r line do printf "%5d:%s\n" $count "$line" count=$((count + 1)) done echo " $count " After I run the program, the result is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianma
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd looping issue with NET::FTP and Proftpd

Hello, I'm a UNIX SysAdmin at a large webhosting company and we have a vendor that provides a service which involves the ftp'ing of files from their servers to ours. They initiate FTP using a perl script with NET::FTP. When they try to transfer files (and delete files over ftp), there is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmmgeekette
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp problem

Hi, I have a problem when i want to get a filename from an ftp server when a space is before his name. example: "spacetestFile" The ftp server return an error "no asset or no permission" though the file exist ? Why it behave in this way ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: protocomm
8 Replies
bup-ftp(1)						      General Commands Manual							bup-ftp(1)

NAME
bup-web - Start web server to browse bup repositiory SYNOPSIS
bup web [[hostname]:port] DESCRIPTION
bup web starts a web server that can browse bup repositories. The file hierarchy is the same as that shown by bup-fuse(1), bup-ls(1) and bup-ftp(1). hostname and port default to 127.0.0.1 and 8080, respectively, and hence bup web will only offer up the web server to locally running clients. If you'd like to expose the web server to anyone on your network (dangerous!) you can omit the bind address to bind to all avail- able interfaces: :8080. EXAMPLE
$ bup web Serving HTTP on 127.0.0.1:8080... ^C $ bup web :8080 Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0:8080... ^C SEE ALSO
bup-fuse(1), bup-ls(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-restore(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Joe Beda <jbeda@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-ftp(1)