Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string Post 302125961 by rsendhilmani on Monday 9th of July 2007 09:42:19 AM
Old 07-09-2007
Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi,

I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this :

#! /opt/exp/bin/perl

print "Enter a string or line : ";
$string = <STDIN>;
chop $string;
$string =~ tr/[A-Z]/[a-z]/;
#print @string;
print "\n";
@arr = ('a' .. 'z');
foreach $val (@arr)
{
$count = ($string =~ tr/$val//);
print "$val occurred $count times\n";
}

But looks like I am going wrong somewhere. Please guide me to solve this.

Regards,
Sendhil

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting Occurances in Two Files

I have two files I want to compare, one is a list of variables and the other is a text file COBOL program. Basically what I want to do is display only those variables that appear in the COBOL program only once. However I would also accept a count of each variable as it appears in the COBOL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Gergel
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - number of specified characters in a string

Hello, I'm new to using AWK and would be grateful for some basic advice to get me started. I have a file consisting of 10 fields. Initially I wish to calculate the number of . , ~ and ^ characters in the 9th field ($9) of each line. This particular string also contains alphabetical... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olly
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting occurrence of characters in a string

Hello, I have a string like this 0:1:2:0:2:2:4:0:0:0:-200:500...... what i want is to break down how many different characters are there and their count. For example for above string it should display 0 - 5 times 1 - 1 times 2 - 3 times 4 - 1 times . . . I am stuck in writing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: exit86
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of records with string row delimiter

HI, i have a file like this t.txt f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ as if col delimiter is |_ and row delimiter |_\n trying to count number of records using awk $ awk 'BEGIN{FS="|_" ; RS="~~\n"} {n++}END{print n} ' t.txt 7 wondering how can i count this to 3 ? thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksforum
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of single quotes in a string

i need to be able to count the number of single quotes ' in the entire string below: "description":"DevOps- Test VM's, System Admins Test VM's ", awk can most likely do this, but here's my attempt using egrep: echo "${STRING}" | egrep -wc '"'"\'"'"' or echo "${STRING}" | egrep -wc... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
11 Replies
TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)							 1							 TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)

tidy::getOptDoc - Returns the documentation for the given option name

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
string tidy::getOptDoc (string $optname) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style string tidy_get_opt_doc (tidy $object, string $optname) tidy_get_opt_doc(3) returns the documentation for the given option name. Note You need at least libtidy from 25 April, 2005 for this function be available. PARAMETERS
o $object - The Tidy object. o $optname - The option name RETURN VALUES
Returns a string if the option exists and has documentation available, or FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Print all options along with their documentation and default value <?php $tidy = new tidy; $config = $tidy->getConfig(); ksort($config); foreach ($config as $opt => $val) { if (!$doc = $tidy->getOptDoc($opt)) $doc = 'no documentation available!'; $val = ($tidy->getOpt($opt) === true) ? 'true' : $val; $val = ($tidy->getOpt($opt) === false) ? 'false' : $val; echo "<p><b>$opt</b> (default: '$val')<br />". "$doc</p><hr /> "; } ?> SEE ALSO
tidy.getconfig(3), tidy.getopt(3). PHP Documentation Group TIDY.GETOPTDOC(3)