Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Force Input in User Defined Variable Post 302122169 by earnstaf on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 12:56:40 PM
Old 06-19-2007
Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as:

Code:
echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days

How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over?

I think I figured out my first question while typing. I have:
EDIT: I didnt figure it out at all Smilie
Code:
if [ "$days" != [1-30] ]; then  #this doesnt work
echo "Please specify a number between 1 and 30."
echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days
else
fi

If they enter it wrong again, it errors. Is there a better way to do this?

Last edited by earnstaf; 06-19-2007 at 03:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User defined signal 1

Hi, I am just running a incremental back-up on one of my server. But these days It abrubtly fails with below error. ========== User defined signal 1 =========== When I rerun the back-up, It completed successfully.Earlier this was not happening. Any Idea, what could be the problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitesh_raj
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User defined service

I want to add a new IP service which executes a script on SCO OS5. I have amended /etc/services and added to port number (3333) I have amended /etc/inetd.conf and added a line for this service but I can't get it to execute my own shell script When I telnet to the IP address on port 3333 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdrury
1 Replies

3. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with User Defined Function

Dear Friends, I need a help regarding User defined function in shell script. My problem is as follows: my_func.sh my_funcI(){ grep 'mystring' I.dat } my_funcQ(){ grep 'mystring' Q.dat } myfuncI myfuncQ But As both the function has same function only the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user defined commands

Hi, i would like to create user defined commands. e,g: if an user executes , mkdircd test then a directory called test should be created and it should be cd to test. How i can create the command mkdircd with below action: mkdir $1 && cd $1. Please help me in achieving this (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print user variable input

this may be basic thing for everyone here, but i cant push awk to print the variable user input which is INS, please help. code: INS=$1 printf '\n' symdg list | grep $INS-clone | awk -v i=$INS '{ID=substr($4,9,4)}{print "Device Group: "$1,"at Array "ID,i}' output: $ ./test.sh patty ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about awk - create a user-defined variable

Hi, guys, The content of file is below (from <UNIX® Shells by Example Fourth Edition>): My code is below: gawk -F'' ' { OFS = "****"; $3 = "(904)"; $8 = $5 + $6 + $7; print } ' lab3.data The result is below: So, where is the $1? Why is the variable $8 located at the wired position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing math using user defined input and system environment variables

Hi, I need some help to setup some environmental variables. for example...Get A -> userdefined/user input B -> a number. c -> system variable...for example $GETCONF PAGE_SIZE E = do some math using bc display a message "The value is E" setup the system/kernel paramter sysctl -p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies
CYR_EXPIRE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     CYR_EXPIRE(8)

NAME
cyr_expire - expire messages and duplicate delivery database entries SYNOPSIS
cyr_expire [ -C config-file ] [ -D delete-days ] -E expire-days [ -X expunge-days ] [ -p mailbox-prefix ] [ -v ] DESCRIPTION
Cyr_expire is used to expire messages and duplicate delivery database entries. Cyr_expire also cleanses mailboxes of partially expunged messages (when using the "delayed" expunge mode). The expiration of messages is controlled by the /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire mailbox annotation which specifies the age (in days) of messages in the given mailbox that should be deleted. Any duplicate delivery database entries which correspond to the mailbox are also deleted at the same frequency. The value of the /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotation is inherited by all children of the given mailbox, so an entire mailbox tree can be expired by seting a single annotation on the root of that tree. If a mailbox does not have a /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotation set on it (or does not inherit one), then no messages are expired from the mailbox. Cyr_expire reads its configuration options out of the imapd.conf(5) file unless specified otherwise by -C. OPTIONS
-C config-file Read configuration options from config-file. -D delete-days Remove previously deleted mailboxes older than delete-days (when using the "delayed" delete mode). -E expire-days Prune the duplicate database of entries older than expire-days. This value is only used for entries which do not have a correspond- ing /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire mailbox annotation. -X expunge-days Expunge previously deleted messages older than expunge-days (when using the "delayed" expunge mode). -x Do not expunge messages even if using delayed expunge mode (reduces the IO hit considerably, allowing you to run cyr_expire fre- quently to clean up the duplicate database without overloading your server) -p mailbox-prefix Only find mailboxes starting with this prefix. e.g. "user.justgotspammedlots" -v Enable verbose output. -a Skip the annotation lookup, so all /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotations are ignored entirely. It behaves as if they were not set, so only expire-days is considered for all mailboxes. FILES
/etc/imapd.conf SEE ALSO
imapd.conf(5), master(8) CMU
Project Cyrus CYR_EXPIRE(8)