Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Splitting my program to multiple source files. Post 302120123 by DreamWarrior on Monday 4th of June 2007 10:53:07 AM
Old 06-04-2007
I like using definitions in header's and sources to do this also, like so:

file.h
Code:
#ifndef _FILE_H
#define _FILE_H

#ifdef _FILE_C
#define _FILE_C_CLASS
#else
#define _FILE_C_CLASS extern
#endif

_FILE_C_CLASS int a;
_FILE_C_CLASS int b;

#endif

The top defintion (_FILE_H) prevents recursive includes of the header, common practice.

The next will define all the globals as extern unless _FILE_C is defined. Of course, in file.c you'd define that before including file.h as follows:

file.c
Code:
#define _FILE_C
#include "file.h"

/* source */

#undef _FILE_C

This way I know that one and only one C file (the one that defined _FILE_C, which should be file.c) contains the definitions of all the globals.

Meh...just my personal style that I picked up...sometimes I'll do this too:

file.h
Code:
_FILE_C_CLASS int a
#ifdef _FILE_C
= 5
#endif
;

This is probably arguable whether or not it is good, because it tells the "user" including the header what the initial value of the variable is, which you may want to hide.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting huge xml into multiple files

hi all i have a some huge html files (500MB to 1GB). Each file has multiple <html></html> tags <html> ................. .................... .................... </html> <html> ................. .................... .................... </html> <html> .................... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help splitting a file into multiple files in bash

I have a file that logs multiple sessions. What I would like to do is split this file inclusive of the lines that include "starting session" and "shutting down" and ignore the data before and after the beginning of the first session and the end of the last session. The output files can be called... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a file (xml) into multiple files

To split the files Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Test.xml --------- <?xml version="UTF_8"> <emp: ....> <name>a</name> <age>10</age> </emp> <?xml version="UTF_8"> <emp: ....> <name>b</name> <age>10</age>... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasi_u
11 Replies

5. Programming

Control multiple program instances - open multiple files problem

Hello. This shouldn't be an unusual problem, but I cannot find anything about it at google or at other search machine. So, I've made an application using C++ and QtCreator. I 've made a new mime type for application's project files. My system (ubuntu 10.10), when I right click a file and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting multiple files in a folder

Hello, I am new to UNIX etc and am trying to split a large number of files, all with the extension .fas in the same folder, into smaller files wherever a string of 5ns occurs. So this file: >File1.fas nnnnnaaaaaattgattttctcagtatcgacgaatatggcgcagaaagttgaataa ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bryony
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting up a text file into multiple files by columns

Hi, I have a space delimited text file with multiple columns 102 columns. I want to break it up into 100 files labelled 1.txt through 100.txt (n.txt). Each text file will contain the first two columns and in addition the nth column (that corresponds to n.txt). The third file will contain the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single file to multiple files

Hi Friends , Please guide me with the code to extract multiple files from one file . The File Looks like ( Suppose a file has 2 tables list ,column length may vary ) H..- > File Header.... H....- >Table 1 Header.... D....- > Table 1 Data.... T....- >Table 1 Trailer.... H..-> Table 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AspiringD
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into multiple files and renaming them

Hi all, Newbie here. First of all, sorry if I made any mistakes while posting this question in terms of rules. Correct me if I am wrong. :b: I have a .dat file whose name is in the format of 20170311_abc_xyz.dat. The file consists of records whose first column consists of multiple dates in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanduris
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for splitting file of records into multiple files

Hello I have a file of following format HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 4567 xyz qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 890 mno qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl HDR 1234 abc qwerty abc def ghi jkl -Need to split this into multiple files based on tag... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies
GETGRENT(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       GETGRENT(3)

NAME
getgrent, getgrgid, getgrnam, setgrent, endgrent - get group file entry SYNOPSIS
#include <grp.h> struct group *getgrent() struct group *getgrgid(gid) int gid; struct group *getgrnam(name) char *name; setgrent() endgrent() DESCRIPTION
Getgrent, getgrgid and getgrnam each return pointers to an object with the following structure containing the broken-out fields of a line in the group file. /* Copyright (C) 1991-2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This file is part of the GNU C Library. The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with the GNU C Library; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. */ /* * POSIX Standard: 9.2.1 Group Database Access <grp.h> */ #ifndef _GRP_H #define _GRP_H 1 #include <features.h> __BEGIN_DECLS #include <bits/types.h> #define __need_size_t #include <stddef.h> /* For the Single Unix specification we must define this type here. */ #if (defined __USE_XOPEN || defined __USE_XOPEN2K) && !defined __gid_t_defined typedef __gid_t gid_t; # define __gid_t_defined #endif /* The group structure. */ struct group { char *gr_name; /* Group name. */ char *gr_passwd; /* Password. */ __gid_t gr_gid; /* Group ID. */ char **gr_mem; /* Member list. */ }; #ifdef __USE_MISC # include <bits/types/FILE.h> #endif #if defined __USE_MISC || defined __USE_XOPEN_EXTENDED /* Rewind the group-file stream. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern void setgrent (void); /* Close the group-file stream. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern void endgrent (void); /* Read an entry from the group-file stream, opening it if necessary. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrent (void); #endif #ifdef __USE_MISC /* Read a group entry from STREAM. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *fgetgrent (FILE *__stream); #endif #ifdef __USE_GNU /* Write the given entry onto the given stream. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int putgrent (const struct group *__restrict __p, FILE *__restrict __f); #endif /* Search for an entry with a matching group ID. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrgid (__gid_t __gid); /* Search for an entry with a matching group name. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern struct group *getgrnam (const char *__name); #ifdef __USE_POSIX # ifdef __USE_MISC /* Reasonable value for the buffer sized used in the reentrant functions below. But better use `sysconf'. */ # define NSS_BUFLEN_GROUP 1024 # endif /* Reentrant versions of some of the functions above. PLEASE NOTE: the `getgrent_r' function is not (yet) standardized. The interface may change in later versions of this library. But the interface is designed following the principals used for the other reentrant functions so the chances are good this is what the POSIX people would choose. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ # ifdef __USE_GNU extern int getgrent_r (struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # endif /* Search for an entry with a matching group ID. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrgid_r (__gid_t __gid, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); /* Search for an entry with a matching group name. This function is a possible cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrnam_r (const char *__restrict __name, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # ifdef __USE_MISC /* Read a group entry from STREAM. This function is not standardized an probably never will. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int fgetgrent_r (FILE *__restrict __stream, struct group *__restrict __resultbuf, char *__restrict __buffer, size_t __buflen, struct group **__restrict __result); # endif #endif /* POSIX or reentrant */ #ifdef __USE_MISC # define __need_size_t # include <stddef.h> /* Set the group set for the current user to GROUPS (N of them). */ extern int setgroups (size_t __n, const __gid_t *__groups) __THROW; /* Store at most *NGROUPS members of the group set for USER into *GROUPS. Also include GROUP. The actual number of groups found is returned in *NGROUPS. Return -1 if the if *NGROUPS is too small. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int getgrouplist (const char *__user, __gid_t __group, __gid_t *__groups, int *__ngroups); /* Initialize the group set for the current user by reading the group database and using all groups of which USER is a member. Also include GROUP. This function is not part of POSIX and therefore no official cancellation point. But due to similarity with an POSIX interface or due to the implementation it is a cancellation point and therefore not marked with __THROW. */ extern int initgroups (const char *__user, __gid_t __group); #endif /* Use misc. */ __END_DECLS #endif /* grp.h */ The members of this structure are: gr_name The name of the group. gr_passwd The encrypted password of the group. gr_gid The numerical group-ID. gr_mem Null-terminated vector of pointers to the individual member names. Getgrent simply reads the next line while getgrgid and getgrnam search until a matching gid or name is found (or until EOF is encountered). Each routine picks up where the others leave off so successive calls may be used to search the entire file. A call to setgrent has the effect of rewinding the group file to allow repeated searches. Endgrent may be called to close the group file when processing is complete. FILES
/etc/group SEE ALSO
getlogin(3), getpwent(3), group(5) DIAGNOSTICS
A null pointer (0) is returned on EOF or error. BUGS
All information is contained in a static area so it must be copied if it is to be saved. 7th Edition May 15, 1985 GETGRENT(3)