Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Exiting eXceed window kills my process Post 302119705 by sysgate on Thursday 31st of May 2007 10:52:20 AM
Old 05-31-2007
eXceed is X server for windows, so this is expected -> when you close the parent, the child also dies. This won't happen if you're running Linux for example :
Code:
vmstat &
[+1]9494 # this is the PID.

Then if I exit the terminal session and enter again, it's still running, since it haven't received SIGKILL or other signal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit from telnet kills orbix process

Hi, I'm using a bourne shell to kick off a 3rd Pty app. This app uses Orbix. When I exit from the telnet session which started the app or hit CTRL-C at the command line, the orbix process dies, yet all other process remain. I've tried starting the app as a background process, but it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarm
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello, We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kills command

what are the header files required for the kills command in kernel version 2.4? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shwe
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get rid of message when script kills process it started?

When I run the following script I get the following error message whcih I would like to suppress when the kill is issued: ./kill.sh: line 13: 31854 Killed nc -l -p 12345 Script: #!/bin/bash echo running nc in the background nc -l -p 12345 & PID=$! echo nc pid: $PID ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmarkle
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH starting nohup'd process - not exiting

I'm trying to ssh into a remote server, run a script which may or may not start a nohup'd background process and then exit leaving the process running on the remote server. I'm looping through a number of servers to do this but the script hangs as soon as it comes to a server where the remote... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to kill exiting process in AIX

I could not able to kill two process which is running in the required port for me.Can any body help me to kill the exiting process. - 27000908 - - - <exiting> - 30998528 - - - <exiting> (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Send Email to a user when an admin kills process

Can anyone create or give me a script that I can use to email a user automatically when I kill one of their processes? Or Can you give me a script to allow me to email a user (entering email manually) when a process is killed? Like showing what the PID was and a reason the admin killed it? Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeGazz84
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process with tee is not exiting out

Hi I have a script which we are calling as below from another script but it does not exit out and just hang there. main.ksh #!/bin.ksh echo "test1" test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt echo "test2" it prints test1 and then just hangs on test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt if i check the messages from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies