Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: learning how to script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers learning how to script Post 302118694 by llsmr777 on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 03:49:55 PM
Old 05-23-2007
what did I do wrong?
I get this error:
ksh: total_rawfile.ksh: cannot execute

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning to script...want a project to work on (making a small MUD)

Will it be possible to make a MUD using unix script(bash)? I know I can easilly make a "dungeon" with different rooms I can run through and such(kinda like a maze game) . What I did was made a differnt shell script for each room and used CASE for the different places to go, ex. when you press N for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learningtoscrip
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning on my own

can i do this? i am learning this on my own..and from the book..simple unix i am not sure if the syntax would work if statement then statement do or for or while statement done else statement fi.... I dont know how else to explain that...I hope I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas27
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

learning how to use shell script

hello everyone, i am still trying to get this script to work, but with no luck. It is a little beyond my knowledge of scripting at the moment. The beginner book i have has an exercise listed that asks me to write a script tha allows for user input. For example " what is your name: " and then you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Language Parser for Learning

I'm new to the UNIX world and have to learn scripting for my job. Presented with multiple scripts to learn (and then have to maintain in the future) is there a utility or process to input a script in it's native form and output what each line would look like fully parsed (i.e.: all variable names... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcampb9
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Tips - UNIX Shell Script

Can any one please provide a fast learning tips to learn UNIX shell scripting? Thanks, Gov (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Govindh.v
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting. why do the following code #!/bin/tcsh setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/ foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04) echo $mix cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ end print(copy) only the first mix? % ./copyfromcbc.sh p00p00 wasn't it supposed to run through all words... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prtc
0 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix shell script learning

I am trying to learn Shell scripting in UNIX. Could Any one please suggest on how to get UNIX account or any other free stimulator available for download on which I can practice Unix shell script? Thanks, sam70 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
9 Replies

8. Programming

Learning python, lost with script

Hi there, im just having a hard time understanding why this code does not print anything that is suppose to print: score = raw_input ('what is your score? \n') try: if 1.0 == float(score) >= 0.9: print "A" elif 0.9 > float(score) >= 0.8: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: la2015
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning to Script in Linux

Hello, I'm trying to branch out and learn Linux, but my comfort zone is PowerShell. I figure the best way to learn it is to do it so I moved my Plex Media Server to Ubuntu Server. What I'm trying to do is build a script that searches a directory and all subdirectories for files with the .ts... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)