Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question on Tar command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question on Tar command Post 302117216 by everurs on Friday 11th of May 2007 09:48:30 AM
Old 05-11-2007
Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar question

Folks, I've created a tar file on tape using: tar xvf /dev/rmt0 The directory I was in was: \IMPULS\F50D01\temperik under temperik the tar command created subdirectories. I need too BACKUP these subdirectories again and restore them on another machine, But when i'm going to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding tar restore

I created a relative backup of my home directory using tar into a file named backup.tar. No problem there. I checked it out using the table of contents command to list the contents of the backup.tar file, and there is no problem there either. But, when I tried restoring backup.tar into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

un-tar question

Hi all, My examples.tar has about 20 directories. I don't want to un-tar the entire examples.tar. Is there a way to un-tar just a directory named "java" from examples.tar? Please let me know JAK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file question

Hi I did this command to tar the files but I got an error. tar -cvpf filename.tar pathname/ It did tar the file filename.tar but then it gave me this error "Reach end of file before expected". The new tar file is about 2GB. So does that mean my tar file limit is 2GB? Is there a max limit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaoses
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar -C syntax question

I am writing a perl script to tar multiple files (in unix) from a given directory to a given output directory. I do NOT want the file path included in the tar, so I've flagged the -C option. Example: tar -cvf tar/1.tar -C htmp/source/ 1-1-1.xml However, I need to do this for a number of target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michanjohns
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar question

Hi all, newbie here. Could anyone help me how to combine a tar -c and tar -x command such that the source file/folder is archived into a target file in the destination folder (may or may not be in the same server), and extracted directly (through pipe?) in that same destination folder? Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding tar command.

I wish my tar -xf hello.tar command should return successful even if the tar has already been extracted at the same location i.e. exists by the same or a different user. Currently i am getting this error as another user has extracted the same tar at the same location. tar: README - cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-tar-out(1)