Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ufsrestore and Exayte 220
Operating Systems Solaris ufsrestore and Exayte 220 Post 302117099 by wilbur on Thursday 10th of May 2007 06:22:12 PM
Old 05-10-2007
ufsrestore and Exayte 220

I have a set of tapes that contain a full system backup done with 'ufsdump' on an Exabyte 220. I don't know how many tapes the backup spans, but I'd guess at least 3-4 tapes (the set is 20, but some of that is subsequent incremental backups). I used 'ufsrestore ilv' and was able to traverse at least some of the directory system on the tape, but not all of it. In particular I can 'cd' into '/home/project' but there is nothing in there. There should be several hundred megabytes of data. What is seems like is that the only part of the directory structure that shows up is that part of the backup that is on the first tape, but if I try to use the 'ufsrestore' command on any other tape I get an error about it not being volume 1.

So what's the deal here? Is it not possible to use the interactive mode if the backup spans multiple tapes or am I just doing something wrong? Is my only solution to extract the entire backup to disk?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsrestore -i

Hi there, I have a problem at the moment trying to restore a directory from a Super DLT tape with about 3 weeks worth of backups on it. I need to be able to get the last backup performed on this tape but using ufsrestore -i it only restores the first backup which is no good to me. There is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

5. Hardware

Canon LiDE 220 Installation

I am trying to install a Canon LiDE 220 scanner on Debian 8.5 64 bit, running on a Dell Latitude E5400 As far as Ubuntu is concerned, it can be installed. I am having no luck with Debian 8.5 This is what I have root@server1:/etc# sane-find-scanner # sane-find-scanner will now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ufsrestore

Good Afternoon, I'm going to attempt a ufsrestore of a Solaris 9 machine from a connected NAS containing the ufsdumps. The idea is to be able to take ufsdumps of a failed machine (machine 1), and use them to set up a backup machine (machine 2). (I'm testing for disaster recovery) Note... (52 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
52 Replies
BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)					       AFS Command Reference					       BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)

NAME
backup_restoredb - Restores a saved copy of the Backup Database SYNOPSIS
backup restoredb [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup res [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup restoredb command restores to the Backup Server machine's local disk a version of the Backup Database previously written to tape by using the backup savedb command. (If the "FILE YES" instruction appears in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file associated with the specified port offset, then the backup restoredb command restores data from the backup data file listed for that port offset in the Tape Coordinator's /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, instead of from tape. For the sake of clarity, the following text refers to tapes only, but the Backup System handles backup data files in much the same way.) The most common reason to run this command is to replace a corrupted or otherwise damaged Backup Database; use the backup dbverify command to determine the database's status. The command can also be used to restore records that were removed from the database when the -archive argument was included on a previous backup savedb command. The command completely overwrites the existing Backup Database records for volume sets, Tape Coordinators, and the dump hierarchy with the corresponding information from the saved version. It does not overwrite existing dump records, but instead interleaves the records from the copy being restored. If both the existing database (on the Backup Server machine's disk) and the copy being restored include a record about the same dump, the Backup System retains the one in the existing database. The Tape Coordinator's default response to this command is to access the first tape it needs by invoking the "MOUNT" instruction in the local /var/lib/openafs/backup/CFG_device_name file, or by prompting the backup operator to insert the tape if there is no "MOUNT" instruction. However, if the "AUTOQUERY NO" instruction appears in the CFG_device_name file, or if the issuer of the butc command included the -noautoquery flag, the Tape Coordinator instead expects the tape to be in the device already. If it is not, or is the wrong tape, the Tape Coordinator invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts the operator. It also invokes the "MOUNT" instruction or prompts for any additional tapes needed to complete the restore operation; the backup operator must arrange to provide them. CAUTIONS
If the database is corrupted, do not attempt to restore a saved database on top of it. Instead, use the instructions for repairing a corrupted database in the OpenAFS Administration Guide chapter about performing backup operations. OPTIONS
-portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator handling the tapes for this operation. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the Backup Database being restored from the Tape Coordinator with port offset 0: % backup restoredb PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
butc(5), backup(8), backup_dbverify(8), backup_savedb(8), butc(8) The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_RESTOREDB(8)