Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linefeed problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linefeed problem Post 302116955 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 9th of May 2007 12:46:11 PM
Old 05-09-2007
Try this - note not all seds allow \xnnn for a hex number:
Code:
sed -e :a -e '/\x003$/N; s/\x003\n//; ta' oldfile > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh script problem problem

Hi Please help me with the following problem with my script. The following block of code is not repeating in the while loop and exiting after searching for first message. input_file ========== host001-01 host001-02 2008-07-23 13:02:04,651 ConnectionFactory - Setting session state... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcjandyala
2 Replies

2. Solaris

problem in finding a hardware problem

Hi I am right now facing a strange hardware problem. System get booted with the following error: Fatal Error Reset CPU 0000.0000.0000.0003 AFSR 0100.0000.0000.0000 SCE AFAR 0000.07c6.0000.1000 SC Alert: Host System has Reset It happen 4 or 5 times and get the same error every time.I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
8 Replies

3. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP problem and eth1 problem

At work I am trying to get this one Linux machine (let's call it ctesgm07) to behave like another Linux machine that we have (let's call it test007). test007 returns the following version info: cat /etc/debian_version: lenny/sid uname -a: Linux test007 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sllinux
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX OS problem? network problem?

Dear ALL. I installed AIX OS on customer sites. but Only one site is too slow when I connected telnet, ftp.. Ping is too fast. but telnet and FTP is not connected.. of course i check the configuration file on aix but it's normal. Do any Idea?? thanks in advance. - Jun - (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put a string to the beginning of a file without a linefeed

Hello, I need to put the following string to the beginning of a file - but it should not create a newline at the end of the string. So, the file I have is a compressed one - with gzip. And I would like to add an ASCII-String to the beginning of the file. The string has a length of 69... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)