Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add non-integers using ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add non-integers using ksh Post 302115718 by awk on Thursday 26th of April 2007 05:44:16 PM
Old 04-26-2007
awk '{BEGIN print 4.7 + 1.2}'

or might try bc - never used it but

NAME
bc - arbitrary-precision arithmetic language

Might want to try a man on bc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you represent non integers in a shell script?

am trying to write a script that test that the load average which is taken from the uptime command's output to make sure it doesn't pass a certain limit. each time I execute the script, it complains about interger errors. if (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers in the if statement

hi, im trying to compare two variables in csh to put in an if statement, eg: set a = $firstnum set b = $secondnum if ($a -ge $b) echo $a But I get an error ("if: Expression syntax"). How can I make csh see my variables as integers? thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
5 Replies

3. Programming

Using write() with integers in C

I'm trying to write an integer to a file using the write() function, but write() requires the parameter to be written to be a const void*. How would I go about doing this? also: using itoa() produces a " warning: implicit declaration of function 'itoa' " even though i have #included stdlib.h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@run
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers, floats and text

I am using gawk in a dos shell in windows xp and want to read a datafile and reformat it. The datafile consists of columns of integers, floating point numbers and text strings. Each column is a fixed width and each column contains the same data type, eg all integers, all text. I am looking for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cancel down 2 integers

Wonderful evening to all of you! My problem has to possible starting points. Well, not really, but getting to either one is no problem at all. So i got either a string in the format of "1920x1080" or simply the integers X = 1920 and Y = 1080. When I am done, I would like to have an output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakunar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings to integers?

Hi, I'm totally new at this, so help will be appreciated. I have a directory with a bunch of files in it. The files are named xinteger_yinteger_zinteger.vtk (eg, x3_y0_z-1.vtk). I want to read the filenames and then assign the integers to variables that I then can use in expressions. So, for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
BC(1)							      General Commands Manual							     BC(1)

NAME
bc - arbitrary-precision arithmetic language SYNOPSIS
bc [ -c ] [ -l ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Bc is an interactive processor for a language which resembles C but provides unlimited precision arithmetic. It takes input from any files given, then reads the standard input. The -l argument stands for the name of an arbitrary precision math library. The syntax for bc pro- grams is as follows; L means letter a-z, E means expression, S means statement. Comments are enclosed in /* and */. Names simple variables: L array elements: L [ E ] The words `ibase', `obase', and `scale' Other operands arbitrarily long numbers with optional sign and decimal point. ( E ) sqrt ( E ) length ( E ) number of significant decimal digits scale ( E ) number of digits right of decimal point L ( E , ... , E ) Operators + - * / % ^ (% is remainder; ^ is power) ++ -- (prefix and postfix; apply to names) == <= >= != < > = =+ =- =* =/ =% =^ Statements E { S ; ... ; S } if ( E ) S while ( E ) S for ( E ; E ; E ) S null statement break quit Function definitions define L ( L ,..., L ) { auto L, ... , L S; ... S return ( E ) } Functions in -l math library s(x) sine c(x) cosine e(x) exponential l(x) log a(x) arctangent j(n,x) Bessel function All function arguments are passed by value. The value of a statement that is an expression is printed unless the main operator is an assignment. Either semicolons or newlines may separate statements. Assignment to scale influences the number of digits to be retained on arithmetic operations in the manner of dc(1). Assignments to ibase or obase set the input and output number radix respectively. The same letter may be used as an array, a function, and a simple variable simultaneously. All variables are global to the program. `Auto' variables are pushed down during function calls. When using arrays as function arguments or defining them as automatic variables empty square brackets must follow the array name. For example scale = 20 define e(x){ auto a, b, c, i, s a = 1 b = 1 s = 1 for(i=1; 1==1; i++){ a = a*x b = b*i c = a/b if(c == 0) return(s) s = s+c } } defines a function to compute an approximate value of the exponential function and for(i=1; i<=10; i++) e(i) prints approximate values of the exponential function of the first ten integers. Bc is actually a preprocessor for dc(1), which it invokes automatically, unless the -c (compile only) option is present. In this case the dc input is sent to the standard output instead. FILES
/usr/lib/lib.b mathematical library dc(1) desk calculator proper SEE ALSO
dc(1) L. L. Cherry and R. Morris, BC - An arbitrary precision desk-calculator language BUGS
No &&, ||, or ! operators. For statement must have all three E's. Quit is interpreted when read, not when executed. BC(1)