Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file descriptor test command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file descriptor test command Post 302115153 by convenientstore on Sunday 22nd of April 2007 03:33:12 PM
Old 04-22-2007
file descriptor test command

Can someone delve more into what below test command do?

if [ "$1" = "-t" ]; then

I know -t is for file descriptor

-t [FD]
file descriptor FD (stdout by default) is opened on a terminal

But not sure how to relate to it..

$1 is supposedly first argument, so let's say if

scriptname: doit
firstargument: file1

and if ./doit file1

then,

above test command is checking to see ...? (My guess would be if file1 file is already open on terminal?

can someone advise?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Programming

File descriptor constant

I have a requirement to close all the file descriptors from 3 to 1024 for a particular application. Right now, this is how I do it .. for ( int i = 3 ; i <= 1024; ++i ) close(i); The change I am looking at is, I want to do away with the number 1024 and replace it with a constant which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptor Table

Im working on writing a small operating system. I am currently working on implementing dup, dup2, pipe, and close and I need to implement some type of file descriptor table in my PCB. I was wondering if there is anyone who is familiar with linux/unix implementation of these tables who could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashaman0
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file using test command

My process creates file like abc.20090427.txt i.e abc.date.txt next time when my process it has to detect if any previous "abc" exist. If exist then move to archive and create a new abc file. I am using test command but it doesnt allow wild card. if ] then mv abc.*.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to test if a string is a file

What awk command will test a string to determine if it is a valid file name? With the following awk statement I isolate the lines from the inputfile that might contain a filename, then I attempt to test the possible filename which is always in $4 from each line. However it is not working at all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arsenalman
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command:Duplicate Header row in Log File

I have a script that is inventorying (not sure if thats a word) my environment. It goes out and pulls Hostname OS, IP, and ENV (dev, prod, etc)..then spits all that to a logfile At the top of my script i have a check to see if the logfile exist. ] || touch $LOGFILE && echo "ENV" "\t"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting with file descriptor

hello, Someone can help me with redirectors? I am writing this script in bash enviroment on Fedora: exec 4<> /dev/tcp/10.10.11.30/5000 #open socket in input/output strings<&4 >file.txt & I send file descriptor 4 to string command to purge data stream from special char while come from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)