Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users suggestions require for unix system performance on certain task Post 302114239 by sysgate on Friday 13th of April 2007 10:36:00 AM
Old 04-13-2007
If I'm restricted to choose from those two options, I'd go for the first one but there's more efficient way to accomplish this with apache logs - with SetEnvIF - take a look at this page, there are pretty good examples.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Suggestions on what I can I use my 2 unix boxes for?

Once upon a looong time ago I used to work with Unix systems - SGI mainly. Now I've inherited 2 boxes - an SGI dual processor Octane and an Indigo2. For the past 2 years they've sat waiting for me to do something with them and never getting round to it. I run a windows network at home so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyChang
3 Replies

3. Linux

system performance

Anyone know how to fetch the system performance information by the function except the system command? These information includes CPU load,memory usage,network load,disk capacity,etc. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help !....pls i require All n Everything About Unix -History,Development..evrthg

i need to know abt Unix Development,History,Features n Everything..... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shank
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance problem with my script ...suggestions pls

Hi , I have included my script below, pls read thro this req. I want my script to run for every hour , the problem is I CANNOT USE CRONTAB which is prohibited inside the company. My script does what it is supposed to do (to determine the memory and then send a email if it crosses a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

7. HP-UX

system performance

hi every body i want to check system performance i usually use glance,top,sar and swapinfo but i confused in something so i need explanation about memory issue first i want check the memory usage i used glance i found this parameter so i need one shows me the differences between these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Require interview questions on UNIX

Hi Unix experts, I require interview questions on UNIX. Tomorrow I have to interview a guy of 2yrs experienced. So I require the Q&A's. Please provide the questions in a manner from Basics to Advanced with grading. We mostly use that guy for Unix shell scripting (support, maintenance). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX based / like OS suggestions to dual boot with Windows

Hello everybody! I'm a long-time windows user with some very limited experience with some Linux distributions. I'm a programmer (in training), but I've worked mostly with .NET stuff. I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and was issued a MacBook Pro to work on. I have fallen in love with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: egill
3 Replies

10. Solaris

System performance

Hi I need to know the system performance : # echo "::memstat" | mdb -k Page Summary Pages MB %Tot ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ---- Kernel 358022 2797 9% ZFS File Data 2427072 18961 59% Anon 1096938 8569 27% Exec and libs 12020 93 0% Page cache 73859 577 2% Free... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimitris
4 Replies
strerr(1M)																strerr(1M)

NAME
strerr - receive error messages from the STREAMS log driver SYNOPSIS
sys_admin_mail_name] logdir] DESCRIPTION
receives error messages from the STREAMS log driver (strlog(7)) for addition to the STREAMS error log files mm-dd) in the STREAMS error logger directory by default). When first called, creates the log file This is a daily log file, where mm indicates the month and dd indi- cates the day of the logged messages. then appends error messages to the log file as they are received from the STREAMS log driver. STREAMS error log messages have the following format: seq time tick pri ind mod sub text Components are interpreted as follows: seq Error event sequence number. time Time the message was sent expressed in hh:mm:ss. tick Time the message was sent expressed in machine ticks since the last boot. pri Error priority level as defined by the STREAMS driver or module that originates the messages. ind Can be any combination of the following three message indicators: The message has also been saved in the trace log. The message signaled a fatal error. The message has also been mailed to the system administrator. mod Module identification number of the error message source. sub Subidentification number of the error message source. text Error message text. runs continuously until terminated by the user. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Specify the user's mail name for sending mail messages. Mail is sent to the system administrator by default. Specify the directory to contain the error log file. Default is WARNINGS
Only one process can open the STREAMS log driver at a time. This restriction is intended to maximize performance. The STREAMS error logging mechanism works best when it is not overused. can degrade STREAMS performance by affecting the response, throughput, and other behaviors of the drivers and modules that invoke it. also fails to capture messages if drivers and modules generate messages at a higher rate than its optimum read rate. If there are missing sequence numbers among the messages in a log file, messages have been lost. FILES
NLS catalog for error log file or files on which operates SEE ALSO
strace(1M), strlog(7). strerr(1M)