Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED command to change ./ to a space Post 302113293 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 4th of April 2007 05:05:33 PM
Old 04-04-2007
so if the 'first occurrence' happens to be in the middle of a line/string:
Code:
$ echo '_ABMSTR./TXT' | sed 's!./!!'
_ABMSTRTXT

Yes, you do need to 'anchor' the regex to the beginning of the line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to change 2nd field

Hi I am a beginner to sed command, here I have a question about using sed to add a few characters into a token of a string. For example, I have a file, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe dfd:ccc:12390:dfjis cde:aaa:21311:dfjsid and, I want the output to be, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julius
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the name of the file which is having space in between

how to change the name of the file which is having space in between i have a file name called. san con.cfg ( since it cannot be opened ) i want to rename it to san_con.cfg i tried to cat and mv .. but not working (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command to change end of line

I am looking to change a data file into a javascript string and this is the code that I am using: sed -i '' -e 's/^/str += "/' -e 's/$/";/' file.xml The first part -e 's/^/str += "/' works as intended, but the second part -e 's/$/";/' adds an additional newline to my file, so that instead of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed command for change special lines?

Hi, I want to add a character "#" in this few lines with sed command Initial: ### CACCIA: DEBUT ### if $(grep -wqi "$2" /etc/passwd); then chuser -R files registry=files $2 fi ### CACCIA: FIN ### Result with sed command: ### CACCIA: DEBUT ### #if $(grep -wqi "$2"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format of SED command to change a date

I have a website. I have a directory within it with over a hundred .html files. I need to change a date within every file. I don't have an easy way to find/replace. I need to change 10/31 to 11/30 on every single page at once. I tried the command below but it didn't work. Obviously I don't know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed command to print specific string between word and blank space

My source is on each line 98.194.245.255 - - "GET /disp0201.php?poc=4060&roc=1&ps=R&ooc=13&mjv=6&mov=5&rel=5&bod=155&oxi=2&omj=5&ozn=1&dav=20&cd=&daz=&drc=&mo=&sid=&lang=EN&loc=JPN HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert 1 space using the command sed

Hi I want to use sed to insert one space after the 10'th character in every line. The lines are on this format: 2012-01-1012:30:55|7323456|65432 2011-02-0313:11:06|1223|3456 ...... ...... Does anyone know sed well enough to acomplish this? If there is any other way around this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ic12
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command: change only twice

Hello, I recently sought help on another thread about how to prefix 2 words in a file with 'pack/'. This is the command: sed --in-place 's/"\(libraries\|objects\)"/"pack\/\1"/g' Background: I have a .json file with the word 'libraries' and 'objects' in it. However, 'libraries' occurs twice;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ Ruckman
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working for me to change text in a file

UNIX gurus I need your help with the following (The server is an AIX box). I have a text file with the following information: ******************************************************** SOME LINES case :WORD1 SOME LINES :WORD2 SOME LINES :WORD3 SOME LINES esac SOME LINES... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
7 Replies
replace(1)							  MySQL database							replace(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysql_fix_privi- lege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 replace(1)