Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cp & mkdir simultaneously
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cp & mkdir simultaneously Post 302110453 by enuenu on Tuesday 13th of March 2007 05:29:56 AM
Old 03-13-2007
Thanks, that will work. I thought that if you specified a destination directory that did not exist when using the cp command, that the cp command would create it. I was wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. Linux

install vs mkdir

I'm sitting here late at night, reading linux from scratch, and I come to this part: http://lfs.osuosl.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/creatingdirs.html my question to you, the all knowing unix.com'ers is this: what's the difference between using the install command as they do, and using the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mkdir

Hi, I look for a script to create 150 directories : d000 d001 d002 ... ... d149 would you help me please ? I think it would be for i mkdir d$i Many thanks. PS : #uname -a AIX fserver 3 5 0050691A4C00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mkdir

Is there ant way to increase max number of folders in the directory from the 32766: Problem UFS: shell>mkdir mmm mkdir: mmm: Too many links But there are no links, just folders. shell>ls | wc -l 32766 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp/Mkdir and spaces

I am having trouble using cp and mkdir commands on a small script. The problem is I have spaces what I am trying to mkdir and then copy. Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem? I've tried searching online. while read linefile do echo mkdir -p $CPP$linefile | cut -d / -f 1-5,8-12 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagiro1
10 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Mkdir

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Do the procedure, which if there are 5 parameters then it creates 4 directories with names of 4 parameters, in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bolones
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir utility

Howdy, Puttering around in unix, and read this in the mkdir man page: "The mkdir utility creates the directories named as operands..." What does this mean, i.e. as operands? Many thanks, DN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danuke
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use mkdir{...} with a variable?

Hi, I used "mkdir job{0001..10}" do get directories. Now I want to create directories with a variable, for exemple "mkdir job{0001..$a}". When a=5 I get the directory "job{0001..5}". What have i to change to get job0001,...,job0005 :/ Thx for ur help :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: E_taks
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mkdir

hi linux expert what is a difference between: mkdir test and mkdir ./test and also if ( -e /test ) then and if ( -e ./test ) then thanks in advance Please use icode or code tags next time for your code and data (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003a
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cd then mkdir from script

Importing images from a camera (or two). I sort by date (1901 this month). Currently (failing) if ] then echo "Found Panasonic G9X" #echo "List files on camera" #ls ${pana}/* . chxdir.sh ${photos}/$mn I want to change directory to a fixed base ($photos)/$mn... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpawson
10 Replies
SHTOOL-MKDIR.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-MKDIR.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkdir - GNU shtool mkdir(1) style command SYNOPSIS
shtool mkdir [-t|--trace] [-f|--force] [-p|--parents] [-m|--mode mode] [-o|--owner owner] [-g|--group group] dir [dir ...] DESCRIPTION
This is a mkdir(1) style command with additional options and the ability to be smart if the directory already exists which is important for installation procedures. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -t, --trace Shows the actually involved shell commands. -f, --force Forced continuation and no complaints if directory already exists. Default is to terminate with error. -p, --parents Automatic parent directory creation. Default is to only create the last directory in the path and fail if parents are missing. -m, --mode mode The directory mode applied to the directory, see chmod(1). Omitting mode skips this step and leaves the operating system default which is usually based on umask(1). Some directory modes require superuser privileges to be set. Default is to stick with operating system defaults. -o, --owner owner The directory owner name or id applied to the directory, see chown(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing uid or the parent setuid directory. -g, --group group The directory group name or id applied to the directory, see chgrp(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute to the fullest extend, otherwise the choice of group is limited on most operating systems. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing gid or the parent setgid directory. EXAMPLE
# Makefile install: shtool mkdir -f -p -m 755 $(bindir) shtool mkdir -f -p -m 755 $(mandir)/man1 : HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkdir command was originally written for Public Domain by Noah Friedman and later revised by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for inclusion into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), mkdir(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKDIR.TMP(1)