Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using Grep within a UNIX Script Post 302110391 by Ygor on Monday 12th of March 2007 07:48:13 PM
Old 03-12-2007
Alternative syntax...
Code:
if ! grep -qi lisa daily.log
then
   echo not found
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script (grep -A 6 -B 2 "ORA-" filename

BACKGROUND: I am using Solaris 10. Some of my boxes have gnu grep and I can use -A and -B flags on those. However, the solaris flavor of grep won't use the flags -A or -B. And some of my boxes won't be getting gnu grep. Should I try using perl, awk, or sed? Actual PROBLEM: I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: el_guero
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script Help - Grep

Hi, I am new to UNIX Shell scripting, and will require some help. I am trying to search a directory with a number of files for a specific word, then if that word is found in any of the files, then the filename is appended to a log file or result file by ">" command. I have been trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sypherg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix grep

Hola, solicito ayuda para procesar un archivo de texto como el siguiente y luego obtener las variables. archivo.txt: Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.249.98.94, timeout is 2 seconds: Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 28/33/44 ms Variables a obtener: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunarriz
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script To Move Files Based On Grep

I am looking for advice on how to write a script that will rename and/or move files to a different directory based upon the results of a grep. Let's say I have ten files in a directory. Some of them - not all - contain the text 'HELLO'. I would like to be able to grep the files for that text,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjhjr64
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script use min resource ( grep grep)

Hi i wrote script use it as watchdog ( i mean it check another program (pooya) whenever that was killed (closed or crashed) it run another script (pooya_start.sh) to start it, this script work fine and do the job for me , i need help of an expert to tell me (exact command) how to change this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

New Unix user with shell script question using grep

Hello, I am a new Unix user and new to shell programming. I am working on a script to go through a log file and find the text error: grep -i 'error' monplus.mplog if I find the text error in the log file I would like to echo a message to the operator staing there is an error I am currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtracy01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script Help - to grep an output and compute

Hi guys, I'm not a frequent visitor of this site so please forgive if this has been asked before. I'm trying to monitor the swap memory usage on my Solaris 10 Unix server. The command I'm wanting to run is: swap -s The output is: total: 33332016k bytes allocated + 40373832k... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d-train
2 Replies

10. Programming

Unix grep in perl script

Hello, Fairly simple really I have an xml file and I want to check to see if it contains a pattern. The pattern is "../" On the command line I can type: grep "\.\./" myFile.xml and I get desired result. To do the same thing in a perl script I thought it was as simple as putting the ``... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
4 Replies
sa2(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    sa2(8)

NAME
sa2 -- Generate a system activity daily report file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-dgpu] [-n mode] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i seconds] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
The sa2 command is a shell script used to invoke the system activity reporter sar for purposes of generating the standard default daily report file. The report file generated is, /var/log/sa/sardd where the dd represents the current day of the month. The sa2 options are the same as those documented in sar(1). When sa2 runs, it will also remove data and report files, found in /var/log/sa, that are more than one week old. The sa2 command is intended to be started by cron. EXAMPLE CRON ENTRY
# Starting at 8am collect system activity records # every 20 minutes for 12 hours # 20 minutes = 1200 seconds # 12 hours with 3 samples each hour = 36 loops 0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 36 # After the 12 hour period, # collect a system activity report 30 20 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A FILES
/var/log/sa/sardd Default daily report file. /var/log/sa/sadd Default daily data file. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
sa1(8), sadc(8), sar(1), iostat(8), vm_stat(1), netstat(1), top(1), sc_usage(1), fs_usage(1), crontab(1), crontab(5) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X