Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help - Setting variables equal to data from another file Post 302109315 by Crios121 on Monday 5th of March 2007 10:38:06 AM
Old 03-05-2007
Help - Setting variables equal to data from another file

Relatively new poster but long time reader. I tried searching all threads for similar situations with mine but I've had no luck with some of the solutions.

I have a script (script.ksh) that is getting information from an Oracle DB and spooling it into a text file (log.txt). I would then like to assign the information from log.txt to variables in the script.ksh

Example...

script.ksh
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

#
#  CONNECTING TO ORACLE DATABASE
#*************************************

sqlplus -s user/pass@somedatabase << eof
set pagesize 0;
set heading off;

spool somepath/log.txt;

select WORKFLOW, FOLDER, SERVER, USER_NAME, PASS from JOB_TABLE where JOB_NAME = 'test';

spool off;

EXIT
eof

This is creating log.txt - which contains the following...
Code:
test_name
test_folder
test_server
test_user
test_password

Now this is where I'm getting lost. When I want to save the info from log.txt to variables in script.ksh - I'm getting empty fields

This is how I'm doing it in script.ksh...
Code:
WF_NAME= `tail -1 /somepath/log.txt| awk '{print $1}'`
FDR_NAME= `tail -1 /somepath/log.txt| awk '{print $2}'`
SRV_NAME= `tail -1 /somepath/log.txt| awk '{print $3}'`
USR_NAME= `tail -1 /somepath/log.txt| awk '{print $4}'`
PASS= `tail -1 /somepath/log.txt| awk '{print $5}'`

When I echo out each variable - I get blanks. Any Ideas? I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong with the "tail" - I don't think I even need it... just the way someone suggested for me to do it but I believe it isn't the correct method.

The goal is to get WF_NAME = test_name, FDR_NAME = test_folder, etc. so I can pass these as parameters to a different script.

Probably something dumb but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing data from file to variables for script

Hello all! After searching through numerous helpful posts on these forums I am still having an issue with a task I am trying to accomplish. I am trying to take data from an input file, store the contents as variables, and use the variables in the script. The input file (input.txt) is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: screwed718
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting some variables

i have a file .NAMEexport MY_NAME=JOE when i do this at the command prompt #. .NAME $echo MY_NAME $JOEi created a script called Run.sh . .NAME At the command prompt i did #sh Run.sh #echo $MY_NAMEit returns nothing. What have i missed out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up variables

Hi all, I have a shell script that sets up the environment for an application running on UNIX - ksh. This script is run using: . ./script_name XX where XX is a parameter. I want to run it from another shell script but when I do it I don't get the envornment variables set up and the prompt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solar_ext
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting array equal to command response

normally when i type: condor_q | tail -1 command line returns: 0 jobs; 0 idle, 0 running, 0 held I want use the number in front of 'running' in a series of equality tests to submit more jobs when my queue gets low. Someone showed me how to do it a few days ago by setting an array equal to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattywac
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file and assign variables to data?

Hi, I need a simple csh script to read a file containing data like this Buy Transactions : 175 Sell Transactions : 212 Server: sepo2 i want to read both field and its value and assign variables to each.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravsripad
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting and displaying variables

Hello, I need a little help. 1. Edit /etc/profile so that all users are greeted upon login. 2. For the root account, set the prompt to something like "Danger!! root is doing stuff in \w", preferably in a bright color such as red or pink or in reverse video mode. Thanks for help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - setting fs to equal any single character

Hi Does anyone know how to set any character as the field separator with awk/nawk on a solaris 10 box. I have tried using /./ regex but this doesnt work either and im out of ideas. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Cron file

Hi, In Cron file i'm using username and password hard-coded and now i wann to use environmental veraiables in cron file. But Could you please guide me how to use these environmental variables in cron file ? Thanks, Shyamu.A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables from a file :

Hi, I have around 10 environment variables in my shell script. i want to set this all in a file and just call that file in my shell script. How can i do that ? Please help. TIA! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file and setting to variables.

greetings all, I have a task right now that is somewhat stumping me, and I am not sure what the best approach is to take it. I have a text file that will contain something similar to the following: first1, other1 first2, other2 first3, other3 first4, other4 I have to generate an... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
14 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)