Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete and move number forward..in file Post 302108647 by anbu23 on Wednesday 28th of February 2007 02:31:50 AM
Old 02-28-2007
Its working for me. Try copy the command and execute as such.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to move certain number of files every 10 minutes.

Hi, I need to move a certain number of files every 10 minutes from one folder to another. I have written the script below, however its not working, please advise. #! /bin/ksh start() { mv /test1/$(head -1000 /movetst) /test2/ sleep 600 } stop() { exit } ls ti* >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash rsync but move not delete

There might be an easy solution to my problem, or maybe not, but here it is. I am trying to rsync a Volume with 1.5 terabytes of data and send it via fibre channel to a raid array. Now normally when I rsync it scans through everything and, before copying anything, deletes any files that have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Movomito
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

move contents from one file to another based on line number or content

I want a script that will move everything beyond a certain line number or beyond a certain content word into another file. For example, if file A has this: first line second line third line forth line fifth line sixth line I want to run a script that will move everything beyond the third... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robp2175
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number?

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number? Letś say the row number is r and the column number is c. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete several lines from file by line number?

Hi I am using the following command to delete a line from the file by line number: line_number=14 sed "${line_number}d" inputfilename > newfilename Is there a way to modify this command to specify the range of lines to be deleted, lets say from line 14 till line 5 ? I tried using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of columns rom file

Hi, I have a data file that contains 61 columns. I want to delete all the columns except columns, 3,6 and 8. The columns are tab de-limited. How would I achieve this on the terminal? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Iptables forward traffic to forward chain!!!

Hi, I am new to linux stuff. I want to use linux iptables to configure rule so that all my incoming traffic with protocol "tcp" is forwarded to the "FORWARD CHAIN". The traffic i am dealing with has destination addresss of my machine but i want to block it from coming to input chain and somehow... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsipk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move and later delete mail data of nonexistant users.

Hello everyone! i hope u can help me... i need a script that is able to do: When a user gets deleted in the ldap DB, the mail folder remains. How can i move to another location and delete it after a month? :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreaker12
2 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Delete or move post to applescript area

i posted an applescript question in the wrong area, trying frantically to delete or move before I get in trouble for posting question in wrong area. it is the one about opening webpages and searching text with applescript, thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilovedoritos
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies
on(1)								   User Commands							     on(1)

NAME
on - execute a command on a remote system with the local environment SYNOPSIS
on [-i] [-d] [-n] host command [argument] ... DESCRIPTION
The on program is used to execute commands on another system, in an environment similar to that invoking the program. All environment vari- ables are passed and the current working directory is preserved. To preserve the working directory, the working file system must be either already mounted on the host or be exported to it. Relative path names will only work if they are within the current file system. Absolute path names may cause problems. The standard input is connected to the standard input of the remote command. The standard output and the standard error from the remote command are sent to the corresponding files for the on command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Debug mode. Prints out some messages as work is being done. -i Interactive mode. Uses remote echoing and special character processing. This option is needed for programs that expect to be talk- ing to a terminal. All terminal modes and window size changes are propagated. -n No Input. This option causes the remote program to get EOF when it reads from the standard input, instead of passing the standard input from the standard input of the on program. For example, -n is necessary when running commands in the background with job control. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chkey(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unknown host Host name not found. cannot connect to server Host down or not running the server. can't find Problem finding the working directory. can't locate mount point Problem finding current file system. RPC: Authentication error The server requires DES authentication and you do not have a secret key registered with keyserv. Perhaps you logged in without a pass- word. Try to keylogin. If that fails, try to set your publickey with chkey. on server: RPC: can't encode arguments The 10240 byte limit for arguments to be encoded and passed from the sending to the receiving system has been exceeded. Other diagnostic messages may be passed back from the server. BUGS
When the working directory is remote mounted over NFS, a Control-Z hangs the window. Root cannot use on. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 on(1)