Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed Help (Using expression - line break) Post 302107446 by Janus on Friday 16th of February 2007 07:11:28 PM
Old 02-16-2007
^$

I did a lot more research and found that if I used ^$, it'll print up and through the last line and blank line that follows thereafter

cat /etc/security/user | sed -n '/root:/,/^$/p'

My apologies again for the board spam, it wasn't meant to be that way...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: How to delete from expression to end of line

I have the following line(s) of text in a file: Card: H'00f2 Elapsed Time (day - h:m:s): 0 - 21:14:18.5 I basically want to search for "Elapsed Time", then delete this and everything else to the end of the line. I've tried a lot of different things, but cannot seem to get rid of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rtstanley
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO break a line

hi All, Have a doubt in ksh..Am not familiar with arrays but i have tried out a script.. plzzzzz correct me with the script My i/p File is: (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = 192.168.2.2) (Port = 1525) ) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = TESTDB1) ) ) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: break before word if it's not last on the line

I've been trying this, and can't get it right. I want to put a line break before a word, but only if it's *not* the last word in the line. So if the break work was "fish," then... We want to fish tomorrow ...would become... We want to fish tomorrow ...but this line would remain... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with line break

<td> CIS </td>and I tried to sed 's/<td>\/nCIS\/n<\/td>/<td><\/td>' and sed 's/<td>\/rCIS\/r<\/td>/<td><\/td>' , but no joy. This is an html page that I need to clean. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI Line Break?

So I'm in a Unix class and our assignment was to go into VI and write a script to make this file tree. At the end of it, I'd like it to echo "This is the file tree you've created" then a line break, then . But I'm not sure as to who to do it. Is there a way for when I run it (./filesystem), the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbowers
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to break the line to the one above?

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make the below file1 look like file2, can anyone help? Basically I just hit backspace on every line that starts with a number. Thanks! file1: THIS#IS-IT1 4 THIS#IS-IT2 3 THIS#IS-IT3 2 THIS#IS-IT4 1 Result > file2: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed , awk script for printing matched line before regular expression

hi All , I am having a large file with lots of modules as shown below ############################################### module KKK kksd kskks jsn;lsm jsnlsn; Ring jjsjsj kskmsm jjs endmodule module llll 1kksd11 k232skks j33sn;l55sm (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
EXPR(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
expr arg ... DESCRIPTION
The arguments are taken as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument. The operators and keywords are listed below. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped. expr | expr yields the first expr if it is neither null nor `0', otherwise yields the second expr. expr & expr yields the first expr if neither expr is null or `0', otherwise yields `0'. expr relop expr where relop is one of < <= = != >= >, yields `1' if the indicated comparison is true, `0' if false. The comparison is numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic. expr + expr expr - expr addition or subtraction of the arguments. expr * expr expr / expr expr % expr multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments. expr : expr The matching operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1). The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the first argument. Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched (`0' on failure). ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. Examples: To add 1 to the Shell variable a: a=`expr $a + 1` To find the filename part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a, which may or may not contain `/': expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a Note the quoted Shell metacharacters. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Expr returns the following exit codes: 0 if the expression is neither null nor `0', 1 if the expression is null or `0', 2 for invalid expressions. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 EXPR(1)