Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding 0 to a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding 0 to a variable Post 302107158 by shivakundan on Wednesday 14th of February 2007 09:05:24 PM
Old 02-14-2007
typeset -LZ amt also removes leading zero's

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding contents of a variable to a command

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, so i'm not sure how to work this. Is it possible to read in the contents of a variable and add it to a command? for example: ------------------------ #!/bin/sh set example = -dfr rm ${example} ------------------------ when i run the script, i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding PATH variable in the startup scripts

Hi, I got a error message The environmental variable AUTOSYS is not set ! I think I require to to add a path to PATH variable in the startup scripts in the home dir. I tried using set PATH= but it is not setting the PATH when i do the echo $PATH , i dont get the new PATH reflected, Is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajanishshetty
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding PATH variable

Hello i use bash and i added a path variable for 2 files /rscr and /uscr in /etc/profile /rscr working fine but the other one shows command not found and when i try to type whereis for scripts in /rscr it shows them but the other one shows nothing... thanks :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wir3d
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding spaces for a variable value

Hi, i have to form the header and add fillers(spaces) to it. I have done something like this. i have added 10 spaces at the end HDR="AAAABBBBCCNN " echo $HDR >> file1.dat but the spaces are not being stored in the file. How to add the spaces. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding value to variable using expr

for i `cat abc.txt` do m= `expr $i + 2` echo $m done i wrote this script to assing value to m. but i got the error "a.sh: 423: not found" please help me to sort out this issue (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Two Decimals Together and Storing as a Variable

Hello, I'm writing a shell script which CATs a input file and subsequently runs an executable. Within each do-loop iteration the input file is changed. Here is where I'm running into trouble.... Lets say I want to add two decimals together: 1.25 + A A is a decimal with a range between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding grep'd results in a variable

Here is one I am baffled with; I have not used unix for a while and now that I am back it has been fun remembering and I have enjoyed it, for the most past. this is in ksh. I need to search in a file for the line with X1 and cut columns 20-25, put them into a variable, added them (dollar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CougarMutt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Content to Variable (bash)

is this possible? its kind of like incrementing the value of a number in a variable. but in this case, instead of the value of the variable being a number, it's just contents/strings/characters/alpha-numeric etc. NOT a number. For instance: VAR=Tommy for all in $(blah blah) do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding more text to a variable

Is there a more simple way to add text to a variable I havevar="blue" and like to add green to getecho $var blue green Here is how I do it. var=$(echo "${var} green") ---------- Post updated at 13:23 ---------- Previous update was at 13:12 ---------- :o Uff Not always easy to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding variable number of space in between two string

Hi, I am looking for the way to add variable number of spaces between two string. e.g input line is a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg My output should be something like this a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg This text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
9 Replies
typeset(1)							   User Commands							typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)