Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar problems using Sony AIT drive Post 302106900 by moshe fried on Tuesday 13th of February 2007 05:51:48 AM
Old 02-13-2007
are you able to read old tapes?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New Drive problems

Sun Ultra 80 ... had to connect an additional drive. connect it according to hardware manual The problem is when i try to power on the system , it dosent start, .. like the system is dead. :( So i remove the new drive and voila ... power starts up . Can anyone pinpoint wats goin on here. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
7 Replies

2. Solaris

tar on remote tape drive

hello guys, am trying to save a file file1 to a remote tape drive using tar and i get a permission denied error as shown below: server1%tar cvf - file1 | rsh server2 dd of=/dev/rmt/1m conv=sync a file1 1883905K permission denied since server2 requires login username and password, i see in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nom
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tape drive problems

Recently we had a problem with a CPU card on our SunFire V880 which has Solaris 9 OS. we removed the card and there was also a problem with our usr which was accidentally deleted. We able to restore the usr but now we having a problem with our tape drive. Previously we could write to the with ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

5. SCO

Problems Detecting HP Tape Drive

I am trying to install an HP StorageWorks DAT40 Tape drive at SC0 5.0.7. The tape drive is not functional. When I run #sconf -v this is what I get; Sdsk ad160 0 0 0 0 Sdsk ad160 0 0 1 0 Stp ad160 0 0 3 0 But when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to tape drive command

I want to use this command to tar to tape: tar cf - DIR | compress > `hostname`_`date +%m-%d-%y`.DIR.tar.Z this of course goes to the FS. How do I modify this to go directly to tape? My tape device is /dev/rmt/0 thanks. Having so many posts you should be familiar using code tags.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

LV and/or physical drive problems HP9000

I'm a technician who has been called upon to troubleshoot an ancient HP9000 K260, running HP UX 11.11. After a power sag/crash/restart FSCK gave multiple error/warning messages about logical volumes and groups. I have some modest experience with Unix servers, but not on such an old and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick.scalia
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies
AMREPORT(1)						      General Commands Manual						       AMREPORT(1)

NAME
amreport - generate a formatted output of statistics for an Amanda run SYNOPSIS
amreport [ config ] [ -l logfile ] [ -f outputfile ] [ -p postscriptfile ] DESCRIPTION
Amreport generates a summary report of an amanda(8) backup run. If no configuration name is specified, amanda.conf is read from the cur- rent directory. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
config Name of the configuration to process. [-l logfile] Name of the log file to parse to generate the report. If a log file is not specified, it defaults to the file: logdir/log where logdir is the log directory defined in amanda.conf. [-f outputfile] Normally, amreport sends the report via e-mail to the mailto user as defined in the amanda.conf file. If outputfile is specified, then the report is put in outputfile. [-p postscriptfile] Send the postscript output to the file postscriptfile instead of to the lpr(1) command. This option has an effect only if the lbl- templ directive is specified in amanda.conf. LABEL PRINTING
Amanda can print postscript labels describing the contents of tape(s) written in a run. The labels are designed to be folded and inserted into the tape case along with the tape or hole punched and put in a 3-ring binder. Various label templates are provided to format data for different tape sizes. The information printed varies slightly between label templates due to size constraints. Labels contain one line for each host/file-system pair and may also contain the file number on the tape, the level of the dump, the original size of the dump and the size of the (possibly compressed) tape file. Add the lbl-templ parameter to the tapetype definition in amanda.conf to enable labels. If you don't add this line to your tapetype defi- nition, amreport will not print tape labels. You may use the printer keyword in amanda.conf to print to other than the system default printer. TEMPLATES
Amanda provides label templates for the following tape types. These are pretty generic labels and should be easy to customize for other tape types or particular site needs. * ExaByte 8mm tapes * DAT 4mm tapes * DLT tapes * 3-ring binder The 3-ring binder type is the most generic. It may be used to make a hardcopy log of the tapes. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amflush(8) AMREPORT(1)