Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission file questions--Please read!!! Post 302106628 by bobo on Saturday 10th of February 2007 10:03:00 PM
Old 02-10-2007
MySQL Thanks!

Thank You!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read permission but cant ls -l it.

ok what is the signifigance of the -l that wont let you list the contents of a directory you clearly have access to list files. what am i missing /tmp$ls -l hold hold/file1: Permission denied total 0 /tmp$ls hold file1 /tmp$ls -l dr-x---r-- 2 root other 179 Apr 23... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Permission

How can view the list of only those files & directories which have read permission..! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetrocks2005
9 Replies

3. Programming

questions about non-blocking read()

Hi, I need to read incoming data from a serial port. I also need the read() to be non-blocking, such that my program can then check for any data to be send via the serial port. I followed some FAQs on the net, set read() to be non-blocking, and got EAGAIN errors popping out. I realise that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oddabe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

give permission to read a file

I want to give tester only the account tester to view the file /var/mail/root nobody else but him and of course the owner root w/o changing the permisions of /var/mail/root -rw-------. $ cat /var/mail/root cat: /var/mail/root: Permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CHMOD....read only permission

After creating a user account...how do i verify if theres only read access on the account. If not read access would i enter chmod a-xw "username"? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Lost Read permission on my folder

Hi I am a normal user on a HP-UX system which is meant for a large group. There are few directories which I think i am owner of. (Name of these directories is same as my username, and I usually have all the permissions in these directories). I was trying to give read and execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grvs
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check read/write/execute permission for 'others'

I want to check access rights permissions not for 'user', not for 'group', but for 'others'. I want to do it by system command in which i want to use 'ls -l' and 'awk' command. I have written the following program : #!/usr/bin/local/perl #include <stdlib.h> system ("ls -l | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Read Only Permission after the space is full.

Hi, Is there any chance that a file system that mounted on the server becomes read only when the space in that file system becomes full? Regards, Sreejith (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith K
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions regarding permission of file.

Hi, I want to check for the permission of a folder. $ ls -ltrd /opt/domains/Logs/docs drwxr-x--- 2 user1 admin 96 Jul 9 2013 /opt/domains/Logs/docs $ find /opt/domains/Logs -name docs -perm -740 /opt/domains/Logs/docs $ echo $? 0 $ find /opt/domains/Logs -name docs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Checking if the directory has read and write permission

logMsg='Started by '${USER} LOG_MESSAGE "${logMsg}" resultCode=$? if ]; then return ${resultCode} fi touch ${FILELISTPATH} resultCode=$? if ]; then logMsg='failed to create file list:'${FILELISTPATH} LOG_ERROR "${logMsg}" CUSTOM_PREPROCESS ${FATAL} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka123
2 Replies
ZLESS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZLESS(1)

NAME
zless - file perusal filter for crt viewing of compressed text SYNOPSIS
zless [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Zless is a filter which allows examination of compressed or plain text files one screenful at a time on a soft-copy terminal. It is the equivalent of setting the environment variable LESSOPEN to '|gzip -cdfq -- %s', and the environment variable LESSMETACHARS to '<space><tab><newline>;*?"()<>[|&^`#$%=~', and then running less. However, enough people seem to think that having the command zless available is important to be worth providing it. SEE ALSO
zmore(1), less(1) BUGS
Zless does not work with compressed data that is piped to it via standard input; it requires that input files be specified as arguments. To read compressed data from a pipe, you can use ...|gunzip|less instead of ...|zless. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Copyright (C) 2006, 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Copyright (C) 1992, 1993 Jean-loup Gailly Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be stated in a translation approved by the Foundation. ZLESS(1)