Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hashing or MD5
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hashing or MD5 Post 302104389 by amit4g on Thursday 25th of January 2007 03:13:50 AM
Old 01-25-2007
Hashing or MD5

Hi,

how can one find that which encryption algorithm the system is using for keeping the user password in the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file.
Is it
1: Hashing ( which considers only first 5 letters of password)
2: MD5 (Which allows arbitry length passwords)

Thanks,
~amit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to : Find Which hashing algorithem used in AIX Box ?

hello Friends , How can i identify the hashing algo used by shadow file in aix box >??? Thanks AVKlinux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avklinux
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to analyze file hashing

What command should I use to analyze file hashing of fixed flat files. How much work does it take for multiple flat files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

4. Programming

Linear hashing implementation in C language

Hi, I'm looking for linear hashing implementation in C language. Please help. PS: I have implement this on Ubuntu 10.04 Linux on 64 bit machine. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password hashing algorithms

I'm collecting some info on the password hashing algorithms in use on various Unix systems. So far I have: no $ legacy unix crypt $1$ MD5 $2$ Blowfish on BSD $2a$ alternate Blowfish on BSD $md5$ Sun's alternate MD5 $3$ a Microsoft hash $4$ not used? $5$ RedHat proposed Sha-256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create md5 sums and archive the resulting md5 files

Hello everyone, I am looking to basically creating md5sum files for all iso files in a directory and archive the resulting md5 files into a single archive in that very same directory. I worked out a clumsy solution such as: #find files for which md5sum are to be created and store the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SurfTranquille
1 Replies

7. Solaris

[solved] Password hashing

Hello, I'm having an issue with my password hashing. In /etc/shadow all the passwords hashes start with $1$. The security people want me to change it so the password hash starts with $5$ or $6$. So this is what I did to fix this. I changed CRYPT_DEFAULT for 1 to 6 CRYPT_DEFAULT=6When I create a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hashing URLs

So, I am writing a script that will read output from Bulk Extractor (which gathers data based on regular expressions). My script then reads the column that has the URL found, hashes it with MD5, then outputs the URL and hash to a file. Where I am stuck on is that I want to read the bulk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reverse the b64 format(encoded b64(b64(md5($pass)))) into md5 hash format?

I have about 1500 rows (encoded b64(b64(md5($pass))) algorythm) in a file. I would like reverse the b64 into md5 hash format. How could I do that from command line? So I need only the correct md5 hash formats. These row format: 4G5qc2WQzGES6QkWAUgl5w P9tKxonBOg3ymr8vOBLnDA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freeroute
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Hashing password with bcrypt in Solaris 10

Hi, Our security audit person generated a report for Solaris-10 servers and mentioned this suggestion - "All passwords should be hashed using bcrypt. Solaris 10 supports this blowfish-based hash algorithm with the identifier 2a. To verify this, ensure the password hashes start with $2a$.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 characters alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Optionally it can start with a "$" character. This means the encrypted password was generated using another (not DES) algorithm. For example if it starts with "$1$" it means the MD5-based algorithm was used. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)