Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting set schedule to run a script at background while logout Post 302104176 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 24th of January 2007 12:17:46 AM
Old 01-24-2007
Yes you can.

man crontab

search for crontab in the forums please Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script at background

Hi all, I have a script like: echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat $listn.txt` do send_file $file done normally, I will run the script like: :. resendfile Please input list filename: list1 #Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a script on logout by a non-root user

hi , i need to run a script that delete files when i logout as a user other than root user . I have tried out using .bash_logout but that doesnt seem to work , so any alternative for this to be done. Thanks in advance, Harsha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha10
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run a script at logout

hi all , Need to a run a program on user logout (using GNOME log screen). Tried using .bash_logout for this purpose but that doesnt seem to work. Similar to .bash_logout is there any script /program which a normal user (other than root ) can edit and run it on their logout? can anybody... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha10
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script on logout ?

Hi Everybody, I want to run my own script on logout , i can use .bash_logout file... problem is this will work only for that particular user... i want to know the common file... so that script wil run for all the user... 2. How to run script on Shutdown ? Thanks in advance Anitha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anisn2002
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would appreciate a quick second set of eyes on a script (regarding doing things in the background)

What I'm trying to do is leave a tcpdump running all the time on a server, and at the end of every day kill it and start a new one. For some reason my boss doesn't want to set this up as a cron job, so I've come up with the following.: #!/bin/bash PCAPFILE=/tmp/mgmt.$(date... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a script to run at 10am from mon to fri

Hi, I need to write a shell script which will run i background and will execute other script only on Mon to Fri 10 AM but not on Sat and Sun. I am able to set it to run on every day at 10AM but how to make it to run only on Mon to Fri Thanks, Firestar. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to schedule script to run Ubuntu 10.04

On Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, I would like to know the best way to schedule myscript.sh to run at a specified time, please provide examples and specify things like does cron have to be running, how do I check if cron is running and all that. I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to run the AT command,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run after ssh logout from another machine

Scenario: I currently manager a cluster at work which is on a private network and i constantly need to ssh to other clients for diags e.t.c. I created a debain client which i use as my gateway to get to all the clients on the private network and I then created a Shell menu script which will make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: defamer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule and Run By weekly shell script in cronjob

Hi All, How to schedule a shell script(script name- byweeklyreport.sh) it should run by weekly in corn job or is there any script have to write to check week and then run the above script. example-1st run March 06 2013 2nd run March 20 2013 3rd run April 3 2013... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
13 Replies
LOGIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  LOGIN(3)

NAME
login, logout, logwtmp -- login utility functions (DEPRECATED) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> void login(struct utmp *ut); int logout(const char *line); void logwtmp(const char *line, const char *name, const char *host); DESCRIPTION
The login(), logout(), and logwtmp() functions are DEPRECATED; use pututxline(3) instead. These functions operate on the database of current users in /var/run/utmpx and the system log file. Superuser permission is required. The login() function updates the /var/run/utmpx files with user information contained in ut (after converting to a struct utmpx, as described in pututxline(3)). The logout() function removes the entry from /var/run/utmpx corresponding to the device line. The logwtmp() function adds an entry to the system log file. Since login() will add the appropriate entry during a login, logwtmp() is usu- ally used for logouts. RETURN VALUES
logout() returns non-zero if it was able to find and delete an entry for line, and zero if there is no entry for line in /var/run/utmpx. However, there is no error indication due to lack of permissions. FILES
/dev/* /var/run/utmpx SEE ALSO
pututxline(3), utmp(5), utmpx(5) BSD
December 14, 1995 BSD