Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Physical volume- no free physical partitions Post 302102150 by markper on Monday 8th of January 2007 06:49:04 PM
Old 01-08-2007
Couple questions, what happens if you don't extend it, and when the next physical volume fills up, will I need to extend it again? Also, does the number of free PP for a filesystem need to be checked manually or is there a report that can be run? Lastly, when I extend the filesystem, do I need to shut down the processes running on the filesystem? Again, thanks for bearing with my lack of experience. We have 10 Windows server, and this lone UNIX box.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to devide existing physical volume

hi guys, i`m trying to take 40GB of my sda5 (/home mounted) to create new volume group(lvc) here`s the df output: /dev/sda2 7,9G 3,3G 4,3G 44% / udevfs 5,0M 60K 5,0M 2% /dev shmfs 379M 0 379M 0% /dev/shm tmpfs 379M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neverhood
2 Replies

4. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to determine the physical volume fo the disks

This is the report I got running the comand rptconf, but I would like to know what is the capacity of the disks installed into our server power 6 with AIX System Model: IBM,7778-23X Machine Serial Number: 1066D5A Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER6 Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

importing a Physical Volume

hi guys I'm added a new disk to my server (virtual environment) It used to be a Volume Group=Vol_Group01 and Logical Volume= Log_Vol_01_Data and I see /dev/sdb Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table Disk /dev/sdc: 133.1 GB, 133143986176 bytes 255 heads, 63... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

10. Red Hat

Physical Volume Create Conundrum

I want to start by saying I already resolved my issue but I want to understand why I am seeing what I am seeing. I have a server with a RAID controller two 500GB drives and six 600GB drives. The two 500GB drives are mirrored and have the OS installed on them. The six 600GB they wanted set as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies
lvmpvg(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 lvmpvg(4)

NAME
lvmpvg - LVM physical volume group information file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that stores the volume-group information for all of the physical volume groups in the system. The information is stored in a hierarchical format. First, it starts with a volume group under which multiple physical volume groups can exist. Under each physical volume group, a list of physical volumes can be specified. There must be at least one physical volume group in each volume group that appears in this file. The physical-volume-group name must be unique within the corresponding volume group, although it is permissible to use a common physical volume group name across different volume groups. There can be as many volume groups in this file as there are in the system. Instead of using the and commands, the administrator can edit this file to create and extend physical volume groups. However, care must be taken to ensure that all physical volumes to be included in the file have already been defined in their respective volume groups by previ- ous use of or The file format has the following structure. and are keywords that introduce the names of the volume group and physical volume group, respectively. pv_path ... pv_path ... pv_path ... The variables are defined as follows: pv_path The block device path name of a physical volume within the volume group. pvg_name The name of the physical volume group. It must be unique within the volume group. vg_name The path name of the volume group. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an file containing two volume groups: the first containing two physical volume groups, each with two physical volumes defined in it; the second containing three physical volume groups, each with one physical volume defined in it. SEE ALSO
vgcreate(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), vgremove(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). lvmpvg(4)