Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to add user on Embedded System Post 302101987 by Perderabo on Saturday 6th of January 2007 10:54:47 PM
Old 01-06-2007
There are several standards whether /home/siegfried or /home/user/siegfried doesn't matter. But you need to pick something and stick with it. Do this command:
grep siegfried /etc/passwd
to see where the system thinks the directory should be. And siegfried should own his home directory.
chown siegfried /home/user/siegfried

There are differing standards on permissions...my choice:
chmod 755 /home/user/siegfried

Just remember that the directory must agree with what is in /etc/passwd.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kicking a telneted user from the system

hi there, does anyone know how to kick a telneted user from a the system? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check the last login user were doing in the system

Hi, I'm new to solaris/ Unix and would like to know how to check in the system what was the last login user were doing. Is there any way to check this? Thanks in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raziayub
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user is not able to FTP to system.

Helo, I have created one group called RBAC.(roll back access control) Now when I created user of RBAC its entry in /etc/passwd file is given below: roleadm:x:120:109:RBAC User:/home/pds_RBAC:/bin/false I have keep at the end /bin/false because I dont want to give direct login to the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

4. Solaris

diff b/w /etc/system and user profile..

Hi Everybody, Can somebody tell me the difference between /etc/system and user profile???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

5. Solaris

add administrator user to system

Hello I have a new job and I need change the last user administrator, I dont know if is easier change some things about this user or add my user in the group with every permission, how can I do it. I dont know which is the group. I think is no only useradd en after modify /etc/passwd. Tank... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cata
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling Kernel for an Embedded System

-----Edit----- My original post was long and confusing. To sum it up, I am wondering how to do the following Debian based commands on an RPM type system. dpkg -i XXX.deb update-initramfs -k xxx -c update-grub I hope someone can provide some insight. Thanks in advance! --------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sakenxx
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with embedded FTP command in Ksh - System Cannot find the specified path.

I have the following FTP embedded in a Ksh script on AIX 5.3 ftp -n <<WHATEVER open 10.101.26.218 user hcistats ******* ascii put $thupdatefile put $thcollectfile quit WHATEVER Here is what my script returns: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a user on the system

i am prompting for a name to search. read user if then however, i get this error: please enter a username on the system: fool menu_script2.sh: line 123: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
4 Replies

9. BSD

single user mode under system v

Hello! I am new to the forum and I need help on restoring root user's password or access the form of single user mode under operating system very long-standing family bsd - Unix system V I think it's also called srv4. I managed to enter the owner of IPL, and a moment after the rise of system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmalool
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to know which user is messing up with the system?

Hello, In our environment some users mess up with the system ( install / uninstall ) software.. unfortunately the root is open to several users (several of them have sudo access) How to track which user is trying to do this ( I'd like to know which user and what ipaddress. ) Experts please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies
UUID_COMPARE(3) 						    Libuuid API 						   UUID_COMPARE(3)

NAME
uuid_compare - compare whether two UUIDs are the same SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid.h> int uuid_compare(uuid_t uu1, uuid_t uu2) DESCRIPTION
The uuid_compare function compares the two supplied uuid variables uu1 and uu2 to each other. RETURN VALUE
Returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if uu1 is found, respectively, to be lexicographically less than, equal, or greater than uu2. AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuid_clear(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID_COMPARE(3)