Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to add user on Embedded System Post 302101845 by siegfried on Thursday 4th of January 2007 10:57:46 PM
Old 01-04-2007
How to add user on Embedded System

The directions below were provided by someone on the unslung mailing list. unslung is a linux OS for LinkSys's $100 NSLU2 NAS controller.

I'm posting the query here because
(1) I think it is really a generic linux/unix questions
(2) I did not get a response in the unslung mailing list.

I thought it was standard to put user "siegfried"'s directory the users in /home/siegfried but Lance (the author of the instructions below) claims /home/user/siegfried is the convention he is going to follow.

So after creating /home/user with the root account, what "chown" or "chmod" (or other commands) do I want to apply to /home/user so that when I log in as siegfried, I can be in the /home/user/siegfried account?

Thanks,
siegfried
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my original post to the nslu2-general mailing list:

>
># mkdir /home/user/xyz
># mkdir /home/user/xyz/src
># mkdir /home/user/xyz/bin
>
>To make xyz the owner of this directory, and its contents:
>
># chown -R xyz /home/user/xyz
>
>In order to give xyz a way to execute the gcc compiler which you have
>installed, and other programs, create a file called .profile
>(Commands for the vi editor may be found at
>http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html):
>
># vi /home/user/xyz/.profile
>("i" enters insert mode,
>type "PATH=/bin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/home/user/xyz/bin" (without
>quotes), <ESC>, ZZ (to save and exit))
>
>Next modify the password file to change the home directory of xyz,
>and to use the bash shell
>
># vi /etc/passwd
>
>Edit the xyz line to replace the text after the second-to-last colon
>(":") with "/home/user/xyz:/sbin/bash"
>
>When you've exited vi, you can use the following command to print the
>file to the screen to see that it looks right
>
># cat /etc/passwd
>
>Now you can login to xyz and enter your password
>
># login xyz
>
Here is what I get:
bash-3.2$ ssh -p 22 root@10.169.1.10
root@10.169.1.10's password:
Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------
BusyBox v0.60.4 (2005.03.22-06:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# login siegfried

Password:
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------
BusyBox v0.60.4 (2005.03.22-06:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

$

I cannot cd into /home/user/siegfried

I tried doing chmod 777 /home/user but this did not help!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Siegfried

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kicking a telneted user from the system

hi there, does anyone know how to kick a telneted user from a the system? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to check the last login user were doing in the system

Hi, I'm new to solaris/ Unix and would like to know how to check in the system what was the last login user were doing. Is there any way to check this? Thanks in advanced. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raziayub
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user is not able to FTP to system.

Helo, I have created one group called RBAC.(roll back access control) Now when I created user of RBAC its entry in /etc/passwd file is given below: roleadm:x:120:109:RBAC User:/home/pds_RBAC:/bin/false I have keep at the end /bin/false because I dont want to give direct login to the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

4. Solaris

diff b/w /etc/system and user profile..

Hi Everybody, Can somebody tell me the difference between /etc/system and user profile???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

5. Solaris

add administrator user to system

Hello I have a new job and I need change the last user administrator, I dont know if is easier change some things about this user or add my user in the group with every permission, how can I do it. I dont know which is the group. I think is no only useradd en after modify /etc/passwd. Tank... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cata
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling Kernel for an Embedded System

-----Edit----- My original post was long and confusing. To sum it up, I am wondering how to do the following Debian based commands on an RPM type system. dpkg -i XXX.deb update-initramfs -k xxx -c update-grub I hope someone can provide some insight. Thanks in advance! --------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sakenxx
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with embedded FTP command in Ksh - System Cannot find the specified path.

I have the following FTP embedded in a Ksh script on AIX 5.3 ftp -n <<WHATEVER open 10.101.26.218 user hcistats ******* ascii put $thupdatefile put $thcollectfile quit WHATEVER Here is what my script returns: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a user on the system

i am prompting for a name to search. read user if then however, i get this error: please enter a username on the system: fool menu_script2.sh: line 123: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
4 Replies

9. BSD

single user mode under system v

Hello! I am new to the forum and I need help on restoring root user's password or access the form of single user mode under operating system very long-standing family bsd - Unix system V I think it's also called srv4. I managed to enter the owner of IPL, and a moment after the rise of system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmalool
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to know which user is messing up with the system?

Hello, In our environment some users mess up with the system ( install / uninstall ) software.. unfortunately the root is open to several users (several of them have sudo access) How to track which user is trying to do this ( I'd like to know which user and what ipaddress. ) Experts please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies
UPSLUG2(8)						      System Manager's Manual							UPSLUG2(8)

NAME
upslug2 - utility to upgrade the firmware of a NSLU2 via the network SYNOPSIS
upslug2 [options] DESCRIPTION
upslug2 is a command line program intended to allow the upgrade the firmware of a Linksys NSLU2 (Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives) to new or different versions. When a NSLU2 in the local network is put in upgrade mode, upslug2 can connect to it and upload a new firmware. upslug2 will accept a full firmware image but it can also upgrade the flash from individual files holding the kernel, ramdisk and root filesystem. upslug2 provides status information during the upgrade process and verifies the written image after the upgrade. OPTIONS
-C, --Complete-reprogram Reprogram the complete flash, including the RedBoot boot loader and the SysConf partition holding configuration information. Using this option may result in the NSLU2 becoming permanently unusable! By default, upslug2 will not touch these two partitions since this allows flashing a new firmware if an uploaded firmware does not work. This is not possible if RedBoot itself is damaged. Use with caution. -d, --device The network device on the host machine connected to the network on which the NSLU2 is located. (Default: eth0). -e, --endian The endianness of the files to be uploaded. upslug2 will usually detected the endianness automatically but this option can be used to force byte swapping to occur. This option accepts three values, separated by comma: endianness of kernel, data and RedBoot FIS directory. Valid values are l (little endian), p (pdp endian) and b (big endian). (Default: ,b,b) -f, --from The MAC address of the host system. -h, --help Show summary of options. -i, --image The complete flash image to use. -j, --rootfs A root filesystem, usually of type jffs. -k, --kernel A compressed kernel zImage image. -n, --no-reboot Do not reboot after upgrade -p, --payload FIS directory payload. There are about 140 Kb in the last block (between the FIS dir and the trailer at the end) which can be used for data. -r, --ramdisk A compressed ramdisk image. -R, --ram-payload A ram paylod (replaced ramdisk). (FIXME: if it replaced the ramdisk, why cannot you just use the -r option? What's the difference) -t, --target The MAC address of the NSLU2 to upgrade. Without this option, upslug2 will only perform an upgrade if there is just one NSLU2 in upgrade mode. -U, --no-verify Do not verify the image, only upgrade. -v, --verify Do not write to flash, only verify the image. Options to specify firmware information The following options should be used when individual kernel, ramdisk and root filesystem files are specified rather than a complete firmware image. -E, --extra-version Extra version information, a 2 byte value. (Default: 0x90f7) -F, --firmware-version The firmware version, a 2 byte value. (Default: 0x2329) -P, --product-id The product ID, a 2 byte value. (Default: 1) -T, --protocol-id The protocol ID, a 2 byte value. (Default: 0) USING UPSLUG2 In order to use upslug2 the NSLU2 which is to be upgraded has to be put in upgrade mode: 1. Disconnect any disks and/or devices from the USB ports. 2. Power off the NSLU2 3. Press and hold the reset button (accessible through the small hole on the back just above the power input). 4. Press and release the power button to power on the NSLU2. 5. Wait for 10 seconds watching the ready/status LED. After 10 seconds it will change from amber to red. Immediately release the reset but- ton. 6. The NSLU2 ready/status LED will flash alternately red/green (there is a 1 second delay before the first green). The NSLU2 is now in upgrade mode. If you decide not to flash the image the NSLU2 can be rebooted by disconnecting the power. If the ready/status LED does not turn green after step four it will remain red for several seconds then flash amber. This happens if you do not release the reset button in time - pull the power, reconnect it and repeat from the second step. Once the NSLU2 is in upgrade mode it will remain in this state until either the power is connected or a new image has been flashed. If the flash fails the NSLU2 will (eventually) return to upgrade mode EXAMPLES
The most common use of upslug2 is the following: upslug2 --image NSLU2_V23R63.bin This specifies a complete firmware image which will be written to flash. Alternatively, kernel, ramdisk and root filesystem can be specified individually: upslug2 -k nslu2-zImage -r ramdisk -j root.jffs In this case, the options -E, -F, -P and -T should typically be specified as well. By default, upslug2 will search for the NSLU2 on the network on your eth0 network interface. If the network is on a different interface, you can easily specify it: upslug2 -d eth1 --image NSLU2_V23R63.bin If there are potentially more than one NSLU2 in your network which may be in upgrade mode, you can specify its MAC address: upslug2 -t 00:11:85:12:34:56 --image NSLU2_V23R63.bin SEE ALSO
slugimage(1) AUTHOR
John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org> January 2006 UPSLUG2(8)