Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User inactivity at OS level
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users User inactivity at OS level Post 302100597 by bache_gowda on Wednesday 20th of December 2006 08:10:26 PM
Old 12-20-2006
User inactivity at OS level

Dear friends,

Can anyone let me know how to configure various OS mentioned below to get user ids deactivated automatically if not logged in at all for a period of, say, 45 days? 1. UNIX / Linux / AIX / Tru64 2.

It is OK whether the solution is by running OS commands / running scripts written for the purpose or using a external tool.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Nice the process on user level

Hi there, I was wandering, if it is possible to nice set of process on user level. Say, I have user1,user2 if user1 spawns 12 process and user2 spwans 15 process, Is there a way can I change the priority of any process started by user1 to 5 and viz-a-viz user2 to 20 Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
3 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 9 console inactivity timeout

All, I log into Solaris 9 server through a command line at the console and want enable a inactivity timer to log out of the server after 5 minutes. How can it be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a file in user level

hi all how to replace a file in user level.. i tried this cp -r /usr/lib/munna.txt /usr/lib/ saying the error permission denied.. is there any way.. please help me to replace a file in user level (not from root) thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need shell script that checks your user id and your permission level

I just need the shell script that checks your user id and your permission level. I sort of have one to check the user id but I don't like it. Can anyone help with this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yammer
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

inactivity default to 30 days

Hi All, On red hat ent 4. How do I make the inactivity a default to 30 days? What config file I need to modify so that I will not modify /etc/shadow? Thanks for any comment you may add. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lock the console after 5 minutes of inactivity.

How would i force The server console to be locked automatically after 5 minutes ? I want it to happen for X as well as terminal session of the machine. My Linux distribution details. LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch Distributor ID:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
11 Replies

8. AIX

last - find out inactivity

I am on AIX 6.1, and need to find out who has not accessed the system within 1, 2, or 3 months depending upon the filter I specify. The output I need to have is the account name and the last time accessed: i.e. kart Mar 27 05:13 - 05:13 (00:00) Please advise. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
5 Replies

9. Solaris

User inactivity

Simple question: for determining whether the user has exceeded the maximum amount of "inactivity" (as set in the shadow file) what date is the current login being compared to? Is it wtmp data or something? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

SSL certificate generation on OS level or application level

We have a RHEL 5.8 server at the production level and we have a Java application on this server. I know of the SSL certificate generation at the OS (RHEL) level but it is implemented on the Java application by our development team using the Java keytool. My doubt is that is the SSL generation can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)