Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Undelete files in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Undelete files in Unix Post 302099852 by misenkiser on Thursday 14th of December 2006 08:41:46 AM
Old 12-14-2006
Undelete files in Unix

Hi

Is there any way to restore files accidentally deleted in Unix
(other than rm -i)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

undelete

Hi All, I just given $rm abc.pc, I don't have backup also. is there any way to recover? thanks in advance krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Undelete files

Right, a mate of mine screwed up today and deleted the entire contents of a directory and he really needs to get the files back. He's using Red Hat Enterprise Edition 4. The files were deleted using rm *. He can't remember if the hard drive was formatted using ext2 or ext3. Anybody have any idea... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bacchus
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix Sco Open Server, Windows Computers Problem Access Unix Shared Files Help!!!!!

Hello Moto I hope someone can help We's here at work, have a unix box with sco openserver 5 on it, so it has a nice gui interface.. and also a fair few windows computers.. a system admin guy b4 me, has set up a user called neil, which can, when u try to access the unix box using windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to undelete

Hi Is there a way by which I can recover the last deleted file file from a folder. OR I had a file in a path .(i didnt notice the size at that time ) I tried ftp that file to my windows but got file of zero size. I want to check whether the file was already empty when I tried ftping it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratim09
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNDELETE a file

Hi, In tcsh, I mistakenly deleted some files under a dir with rm * Is there any way by which I can recover those files (without restoring to an earlier backup point) ? I mean any command like undelete or anything similar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowline84
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an unix server.

Hi, Could someone please assist on a quick way of How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an UNIX(AIX) server.The file data needs to be extracted in flat text file or CSV or excel format . Usually we have programs in microfocus COBOL to extract data, but would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: devina
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a program in c in unix that display the files(includ sub-direc and files within) in a sorted

the sorting is based on name of file, file size modification time stamps o f file it should dislay the output in the following format "." and ".." enteries should be ignored please give some idea how to do it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pappu kumar jha
1 Replies

8. SCO

Versioning through undelete

Hi , I am using SCO openserver realease 3.2 and tried to test versioning on a directory with undelete -s . The command executes well but it is not creating any versions of the files in it. I have also setted versioning options via filesystem and then remounted it but of ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Undelete, backup inodes

is there a way to backup all inodes? (could that help with undeleting files?) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
9 Replies
EXT3GREP(8)						 recover files on ext3 filesystems					       EXT3GREP(8)

NAME
ext3grep - ext3 file recovery tool SYNOPSIS
ext3grep [OPTIONS] FILE ... DESCRIPTION
ext3grep is a simple tool intended to aid anyone who accidentally deletes a file on an ext3 filesystem, only to find that they wanted it shortly thereafter. OPTIONS
--superblock Print contents of superblock in addition to the rest. If no action is specified then this option is implied. --print Print contents of block or inode, if any. --ls Print directories, one line per entry. See the FILTERS section for details on filtering this output. --accept FILE Accepts 'file' as a legal filename. Can be used multiple times. If you change any --accept you must remove BOTH stage* files! --journal Prints the contents of the journal. --show-path-inodes Show the inode of each directory component in paths. Filters: --group gid Only show/process files owned by process group gid. --directory Only show/process process directory inodes. --after dtime Only show/process entries deleted on or after dtime. --before dtime Only show/process entries deleted before dtime. --deleted Only show/process deleted entries. --allocated Only show/process allocated inodes/blocks. --unallocated Only show/process unallocated inodes/blocks. --reallocated Do not suppress entries with reallocated inodes. Inodes are considered 'reallocated' if the entry is deleted but the inode is allo- cated, but also when the file type in the dir entry and the inode are different. --zeroed-inodes Do not suppress entries with zeroed inodes. Linked entries are always shown, regardless of this option. --depth depth Process directories recursively up till a depth of 'depth'. Actions: --inode-to-block inode_num Print the block that contains inode inode_num. --inode inode_num Show info on inode inode_num. If --ls is used and the inode is a directory, then the filters apply to the entries of the directory. If you do not use --ls then --print is implied. --block block_num Show info on block block_num. If --ls is used and the block is the first block of a directory, then the filters apply to entries of the directory. If you do not use --ls then --print is implied. --histogram=[atime|ctime|mtime|dtime|group] Generate a histogram based on the given specs. Using atime, ctime or mtime will change the meaning of --after and --before to those times. --journal-block block_num Show info on journal block block_num. --journal-transaction seq Show info on transaction with sequence number seq. --dump-names Write the paths of files to stdout. This implies --ls but suppresses its output. --search-start str Find blocks that start with the fixed string str. --search str Find blocks that contain the fixed string str. --search-inode block_num Find inodes that refer to block block_num. --search-zeroed-inodes Return allocated inode table entries that are zeroed. --inode-dirblock-table dir Print a table for directory path dir of directory block numbers found and the inodes used for each file. --show-journal-inodes inode_num Show copies of inode inode_num still in the journal. --restore-file path Will restore file path. path is relative to root of the partition and does not start with a '/' (it must be one of the paths returned by --dump-names). The restored directory, file or symbolic link is created in the current directory as ./path. --restore-all As --restore-file but attempts to restore everything. The use of --after is highly recommended because the attempt to restore very old files will only result in them being hard linked to a more recently deleted file and as such pollute the output. --show-hardlinks Show all inodes that are shared by two or more files. --version, -[vV] Prints the version information and exits. --help, Prints a help message and exits. EXAMPLES
Restoring all files from the ext3 partition/file /backup/sda1: ext3grep --restore-all /backup/sda1 Listing the files owned by GID 1000 on /backup/sda1: ext3grep --ls --group 1000 /backup/sda1 Finding all files containing the string Critical_report in their name on /backup/sda1: ext3grep --dump-names /backup/sda1 | grep 'Critical_report' LIMITATIONS
Do not attempt to use ext3grep for recovery from a mounted filesystem. Ever. No, not even then. ext3grep sometimes runs out of memory spare on 32-bit architectures and crashes. It is highly recommended that you run ext3grep in a 64-bit environment when dealing with large filesystems, though this is seen as a bug. ext3grep cannot recover files if there are no remnants of them. Some files that ext3grep recovers may have trailing null bytes - just scrape them off like the burnt bits on toast. SEE ALSO
debugfs(8) AUTHOR
ext3grep was written by Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>. This manual page was written by Rich Ercolani <rercola@acm.jhu.edu>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). It may be distrib- uted under the same terms as ext3grep, the GNU General Public License, either version 2 or (at your option) any later version. 0.8.0 2008-09-14 EXT3GREP(8)