Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looking for a hex character?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for a hex character? Post 302099634 by anbu23 on Wednesday 13th of December 2006 08:36:04 AM
Old 12-13-2006
To get the occurrence of 0A
Code:
grep -c "0A" file

If 0A occur twice in a line then

Code:
tr ' ' '\n' < file | grep -c "0A"

Here i assumed space to be delimiter of the records in the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Hex character strings to HTML entities

Hi! I am not a whiz at awk and very unsure about the aplication of awk solve my problem. I was hoping for some quick pointers so I can figure this out. I have a file that looks like so: label.Asked=\u8CEA\u554F\u6E08\u307F button.Edit=\u7DE8\u96C6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnochio
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

8. Programming

What is the difference between ios::hex and std::hex?

Hi, Is there really a difference between these two, std::hex and ios::hex?? I stumbled upon reading a line, "std::ios::hex is a bitmask (8 on gcc) and works with setf(). std::hex is the operator". Is this true? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with "sed" some hex values by other hex values?

Assume I have a file \usr\home\\somedir\myfile123.txt and I want to replace all occurencies of the two (concatenated) hex values x'AD' x'A0' bytwo other (concatenated) hex values x'20' x'6E' How can I achieve this with the gnu sed tool? Additional question: Is there a way to let sed show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)