Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating data of size
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating data of size Post 302099446 by Mr Pink on Tuesday 12th of December 2006 06:39:50 AM
Old 12-12-2006
Creating data of size

Hello,

I need to create 100kb,1000kb,10000kb etc files of no particular substance but I need them a exact size.

I think they are .dat's I need but im unsure of the command I issue to create them

Any help appreciated Smilie

Mr Pink

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to correctly allocate size while creating FileSystem

Hello - I am finding difficulty in creating and allocating correct size to File Systems on solarix x86 box. Please see below contents I followed on screen and in the end It shows that /app file system is created of size 135GB , I wanted it to be 30gb as mentioned during 'format' command in 'Enter... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating filesystem of 2MB size

Hi all, I would like to ask on how to create 2MB partition on a Compact Flash card. It supposed to be of FAT12 type, and the CF capacity is 4GB. I try to do the partitioning and specify the size as 2MB but the partition editor automatically resize it to 8MB. I know that this is possible and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: archayl
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating data loading script

asdfasdfasdfasdf??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating trash data?

How could I go about creating some trash files to use for testing. All I need is for files to exist and the data in them really doesn't matter. I need to do some work and testing with scripts and I don't want to mess with real data in my testing. So I would like to generate say 10,000 files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a new variable from existing data

Hello, I have the following data set: TRAIT DOSE 40 0.4 30 0.3 95 1.2 120 1.7 85 1.4 136 1.8 134 1.8 40 0.4 30 0.3 95 1.2 120 1.7 85 1.4 136 1.8 134 1.8 40 0.4 30 0.3 95 1.2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf_blue
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating directory with specific size?

Hello world, I just learnt we can create a directory with custom size in a Linux server (say Redhat). Is it true? I'm asking because the only data (I can think of) a directory's inode holds is the files and 'sub-dir's. How can a new empty directory be of some required size? :wall: PS : In... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a blank string of a specified size

I want to have a string which has n blank spaces For example set N = 3 create str = " " So the length depends on the value of N. I am in tcsh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating data delimited by ASCII code 1

<Any suggestion how to create a file where the values are separated by ASCII code 1,with data extracted from a table using shell script The format is :/> <columnname1(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname2(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname3(binary1)columnvalue... 1st row/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasun
6 Replies
plotit(1)						      General Commands Manual							 plotit(1)

NAME
plotit - experiment data visualization SYNOPSIS
plotit -w FILE plotit [-lp] -q FILE [FILE]... plotit [-lp] Y FILE [FILE...] plotit [-lp] X Y FILE [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
The plotit program is a simple plotting program which can draw line plots and stripcharts using a command language similar to that of gnu- plot. It can also make quick plots of multiple data files from the command-line. Wildcards may be used in the file names. The program takes optional expressions which can be used to manipulate data columns before plotting. Expressions may be as simple as the designation of a column to be plotted or may contain arithmetic expressions and functions. In the latter case the espression must be enclosed in 'single' or "double" quotation marks. Column numbers are designated by the at-sign character (@). A single expression is used for the Y axis of the plot. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print the usage and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. -w Watch the input file for commands to stripchart, or wait to read all of stdin before plotting. Only one file or - for stdin may be specified with this option. No other options may be used in conjuction with this option. -q Plot the first and second columns of each file. -l Plot with lines. -p Plot with points. EXAMPLES
Plot the second column versus the first of all three files with lines only. plotit -lq file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat Plot the quotient of the third column and the second column versus the first column of all files matching the pattern using points only. plotit -p '@3/@2' file??.dat Plot the natural log of the second column divided by the third column versus the fourth column. By default these data are plotted with both lines and points. plotit @4 'log(@2/@3)' file.dat AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu>. February 21, 2009 plotit(1)