Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove certain part of file name Post 302097629 by ranj@chn on Monday 27th of November 2006 04:19:51 PM
Old 11-27-2006
how about this

Code:
for fname in *.txt
do
mv $fname ${fname##*[0-9]}
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name?

Hi Guys here I am again, I have two files in a specified location. Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ input file names: 1. abc_app.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abd_app.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads the files from the location based on the oldest date and cuts the date part... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruthless
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file

I have an xml file, from where I need to take out Application2 entries and keep the others. I need to remove from <product> to </product> and the key element to look for while removing should be <application> as other pairs can be same for others. <product> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove range part of a file with sed

Hello, I would like to remove a range from a file with sed or any script command that is appropriate The section start by and finish by and I would like to keep line Could you tell me which command I should type ? Thanks a lot, Franck My input file is like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfranck
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a column in a text file

I have a text file with delimiter "|" and sometimes the zipcode is in "5th" column or "6th" column. I want to scan the file and remove the "-2323" from the zipcode which has zip+4 digits From blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|945523-232|USA blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|foo|94555-2323|USA To... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove part of file name with sed & mv

Ok, so I have bunch of files that are named "orange__file_name.asm" and I want to batch rename them to "file_name.asm" I know that using "ls | sed s/orange__//" will get rid of the part of the file name I do not want. But how do I combine that with the mv command to actually do it? Thanks JG (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john galt
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Rename file name / remove part of name

I have a whole file structure with jpeg files where I want to remove a part of the file name. An application added in many files a case conflict in the naming "xyz 017.jpg (Case Conflict 1)" So, can someone help me how to get rid of the " (Case Conflict 1)"? What I have is this: find . -name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a file based on identifiers

here below is a part of the file cat fileName.txt NAME=APP-VA-va_mediaservices-113009-VA_MS_MEDIA_SERVER_NOT_PRESENT-S FIXED=false DATE= 2013-02-19 03:46:04.4 PRIORITY=HIGH RESOURCE NAME=ccm113 NAME=APP-DS-ds_ha-140020-databaseReplicationFailure-S FIXED=false DATE= 2013-02-19... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the date part of the file?

Hi Gurus, I have file name like: abcd.20131005.dat I need to remove mid part of data final name should be abcd.dat thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name in a script?

Hi All, I need to create links between two directories. have multiple files in a specified location. Source Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ Target Location ex: /opt/xdm input file names: 1. abc_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abcd_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kthri_82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file using a condition

Gents, Is there the chance to remove part of the file, Taking in consideration this condition. For each record the first row start with the string % VE should be 56 rows for each records.. first row = % VE last row = % sw total 56 rows for each record. Then in the case that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)