Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using sudo for specific cmds
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Using sudo for specific cmds Post 302097359 by Andrek on Thursday 23rd of November 2006 05:17:55 PM
Old 11-23-2006
Just a coiple of quick questions....

Does the userid belong to the group "waswps" in /etc/group?
Does the script "stopwas" check to see if the userid is "root" before it executes the stop command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

?script/cmds 2 list open files????

I would like to have the commands or a scripts that will show me files that are not open by any process and meet a certain pattern (ie arch.log1_117512.dbf). Basically I a wanting to delete all arched redo logs that oracle has popped out execpt for the current one it is writting to. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bn80865
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What's the difference: 'nuhup cmds' Vs 'cmds &'

Hello, Case: If I want to run a script background and logout, which command should I use ? 1)# ./script_name & 2)# nohup script_name 3)# nohup script_name & And any differences ? What happens if I redirect the output to a file? I learned somewhere that the (1) format will stop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billshu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

differnce between these cmds

Hi all, I would like to know the difference between these commands /usr/lib/fs/hsfs/mount -F /dev/lofi/1 /usr and mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /usr In the first case absolute path is specified and in the next the cmd with options ,whats the differnce. PS:am sorry ,coz this had been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errors while executing cmds in sun solaris

Hi All, I am using mysql at sun solaris unix(Hp) server. I logged into mysql server with root as user. its logged in properly. Then i used 'show databases' mysql command. its display all the available databases. for example mysql > show databases; It displayed as follows. exampledb1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbsurf
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Errors while executing mysql cmds in SUn solaris server

Hi All, I am using mysql at sun solaris unix(Hp) server. I logged into mysql server with root as user. its logged in properly. Then i used 'show databases' mysql command. its display all the available databases. for example mysql > show databases; It displayed as follows. exampledb1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbsurf
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running cmds from a file

I specified in my file that all cmds are bash: ------------ #!/bin/bash ls -l ------------ thats the file how would i run that one command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cmds doesn't work in Bash shell . Plz help

Hi everyone, I have a Linux OS in my PC (older version 9). Its default shell is bash. Whenever I try to run some Perl program it throws error ! eg, if I run this simple PERL program , #!/usr/bin/perl printf "\lHello \n"; $var=3 ; printf $var; @list=(1,2,3); printf "@list";... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adc22
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo: blocking specific commands

Hello all, I manage some HP-UX 11.31 servers. I have some users that have sudo access. All of them belong to the 'sudoers' user group. Right now, sudo is configured as wide open: %sudoers ALL=(ALL) ALL We are using sudo mostly for auditing purposes - when a user wants to run a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
9 Replies

10. AIX

Difference between lsconf & prtconf cmds on AIX

Friends, Could someone answer me on a silly question of mine: What's the difference between lsconf & prtconf commands of AIX? I find the o/p's of either of these commands to be same. Excuse me if I'm missing something, also I google-ed about it before turning down here for answer. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
3 Replies
RC.NEWS(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation							RC.NEWS(8)

NAME
rc.news - Start or stop INN daemons SYNOPSIS
rc.news [start | stop] DESCRIPTION
rc.news can be used to start or stop innd and supporting programs. It checks to make sure INN is not already running, handles cases of unclean shutdown, finishes up tasks which might have been interrupted by the preceding shutdown, e-mails certain boot-time warnings to newsmaster (as set in inn.conf), and is generally safer and easier than starting and stopping everything directly. It needs to be run as the news user so that files in pathrun are created with the right ownership (though this is less important for "rc.news stop"). Programs run and stopped by this script include: o Always: innd is started or stopped. o If doinnwatch is true in inn.conf: innwatch is started and stopped. o If docnfsstat is true in inn.conf: cnfsstat is started and stopped. o If ovmethod is set to "ovdb" in inn.conf: ovdb_init is run; ovdb_server and ovdb_monitor are stopped. o If rc.news.local exists in pathbin: rc.news.local is run with argument "start" or "stop" (to perform site-specific startup or shutdown tasks). OPTIONS
"start" If the first argument is "start", or no first argument is given, rc.news initiates INN startup. "stop" If the first argument is "stop", rc.news initiates INN shutdown. It is recommended to throttle the server first as described in ctlinnd(8). EXAMPLES
To start INN and leave certain error messages going to the terminal: su - news -c <pathbin in inn.conf>/rc.news To run INN at startup time from appropriate system boot scripts: su - news -c <pathbin>/rc.news >/dev/console To stop INN (throttling first): <pathbin>/ctlinnd throttle reason su - news -c '<pathbin>/rc.news stop' BUGS
Running "rc.news start" as root is never the right thing to do, so we should at minimum check for this and error, or perhaps change effective user ID. HISTORY
// FIXME: any attribution for rc.news itself? This manual page written by Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff@litech.org> for InterNetNews. $Id: rc.news.pod 9340 2011-08-16 13:50:19Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
ctlinnd(8), cnfsstat(8), inn.conf(5), innwatch(8), ovdb(5). INN 2.5.3 2011-08-22 RC.NEWS(8)