Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tracing ethereal traces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tracing ethereal traces Post 302096769 by LivinFree on Saturday 18th of November 2006 02:08:56 AM
Old 11-18-2006
If you mean you just want to save the output, use "tethereal" on the command line like so:
# tethereal -s1536 -w /tmp/wireshark.out

It saves the output in a tcpdump capture format, so you can peruse it later in the Wireshark / Ethereal GUI or filter it further.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ethereal

One of the users on my network took my aside and showed me a program called ethereal that can sniff out packets on the network. He was able to re-build a packet stream and see pretty clearly what other users where looking at. I am using a hub. If I use a switch will that stop ability to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

Ethereal

Hi, I work with an interface which connects to a Switch company and pulls information from certain sockets. During the night, somehow disconnects and it is difficult to prove if it is the interface or the Switch company responsible. I had the suggestion to install sniffers to do some network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulianob
2 Replies

3. SCO

Ethereal for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7???

Which version of Ethereal can I use for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean2
0 Replies

4. AIX

Ethereal and AIX 5.3

Hi to all .... i must install ethereal-0.8.18-1 on aix system , for do some problems determination about network problems . I have a .bff file of ethereal but for resolve dependencies i need this two .bff package needed : freeware.gtk+.rte 1.2.8.0 # Base Level Fileset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BabylonRocker
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interfacing ethereal

Hi All; plz suggest me any perl script to get the ethereal messeges.To be more specific, i need to write a perl script that when an ethereal tool is started and captures any traces, can get that trace......... :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help for traces in NS2

Hello Everyone, I'm a very new user to both NS-2 and awk and struggling quite a bit. I have a created a wireless trace in NS2 which is of the format as given below: s 0.029290548 _1_ RTR --- 0 message 32 ------- s 1.119926192 _0_ RTR --- 1 message 32 ------- M 10.00000 0 (5.00,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberalienfreak
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ethereal problem

I have installed ethereal on solaris 10. however I can execute the ./ethereal using the root account. if tried to execute same from non-root users i am facing the following error. ethereal: The capture session could not be initiated (/dev/ce: Permission denied). Please check to make sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
3 Replies
REORDERCAP(1)						  The Wireshark Network Analyzer					     REORDERCAP(1)

NAME
reordercap - Reorder input file by timestamp into output file SYNOPSIS
reordercap [ -n ] <infile> <outfile> DESCRIPTION
Reordercap is a program that reads an input capture file and rewrites the frames to an output capture file, but with the frames sorted by increasing timestamp. This functionality may be useful when capture files have been created by combining frames from more than one well-synchronised source, but the frames have not been combined in strict time order. Reordercap writes the output capture file in the same format as the input capture file. Reordercap is able to detect, read and write the same capture files that are supported by Wireshark. The input file doesn't need a specific filename extension; the file format and an optional gzip compression will be detected automatically. Near the beginning of the DESCRIPTION section of wireshark(1) or <http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/wireshark.html> is a detailed description of the way Wireshark handles this, which is the same way reordercap handles this. OPTIONS
-n When the -n option is used, reordercap will not write out the output file if it finds that the input file is already in order. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), wireshark(1), tshark(1), dumpcap(1), editcap(1), mergecap(1), text2pcap(1), pcap-filter(7) or tcpdump(8) NOTES
Reordercap is part of the Wireshark distribution. The latest version of Wireshark can be found at <http://www.wireshark.org>. It may make sense to move this functionality into editcap, or perhaps mergecap, in which case reordercap could be retired. HTML versions of the Wireshark project man pages are available at: <http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages>. AUTHORS
Original Author -------- ------ Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson[AT]googlemail.com> 1.10.3 2013-07-28 REORDERCAP(1)