Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rename files on the fly
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename files on the fly Post 302095891 by kamitsin on Saturday 11th of November 2006 08:02:37 PM
Old 11-11-2006
-------------------------------

for i in blah1 blah2 blah3
do
j=1
mv $i renamedfile$j
j=`expr $j + 1`
done

-------------------------------
kamitsin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename files?

:confused: How can i rename a file 'x.log' to 'x_20020512 072909.log' :eek: i'm using perl, with system command from a unix web server, and need to timestamp my logs if the above format (filename _ year month day hr min sec .log) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CompuTelSystem
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files

hey all, I have files in the format of ABCD20061101 and ABCDEF20061101 in one directory, I would like to change all ABCD20061101 to ABCDEF20061101 and the problem is if I do a simple pattern match of ABCD, then those ABCDEF20061101 would also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving multiple files and renaming them on the fly

Hi All, Being new to scripting I am facing a new situation. We have an application that generates a file lets say dumpfile for each user under the users home directory when they execute the application. This is quite a huge file and imagine having that for over 40 users on a daily basis. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daemongk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files

Hello, I've a list of file like this img_001 img_22 img_44 and I would rename all with this form photo_0001 photo_0002 photo_0003 photo_0004 suggestions?Thanks to all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files Ax based on strings found in files Bx

Hi, I'm not very experienced in shell scripting and that's probably why I came across the following problem: I do have several hundred pairs of text files (PF00x.spl and PF00x.shd) where the first file (PF00x.spl) needs to be renamed according a string that is included in the second file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inCH
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Files on the Fly

Hi, I am creating files in a folder on the fly with arbritrary names but same extension (say, ".img"). How can I read each filename from the folder through a script. regards Angshuman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files

Hi, I am new to Unix and i have a requirement where i need to write a shell script where i have to loop through various files present in a directory and rename them based on below criteria. Files in the folder are in the following format. _YYYYMMDD.dat] SDL_V1_20100530.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishoo
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to gzip files "on fly" before copying

Hello, I want to gzip some files before copying to remote host. There is no freespace on source host so it needs to be perfomed within one-liner. I tried the following but it didn't work gzip -c -9 all_rvds.xml |ssh targethost "dd of=/tmp/all_rvds.xml.gz" cat all_rvds.xml |gzip -c9 |ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies
EXPR(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
expr arg ... DESCRIPTION
The arguments are taken as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument. The operators and keywords are listed below. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped. expr | expr yields the first expr if it is neither null nor `0', otherwise yields the second expr. expr & expr yields the first expr if neither expr is null or `0', otherwise yields `0'. expr relop expr where relop is one of < <= = != >= >, yields `1' if the indicated comparison is true, `0' if false. The comparison is numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic. expr + expr expr - expr addition or subtraction of the arguments. expr * expr expr / expr expr % expr multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments. expr : expr The matching operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1). The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the first argument. Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched (`0' on failure). ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. Examples: To add 1 to the Shell variable a: a=`expr $a + 1` To find the filename part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a, which may or may not contain `/': expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a Note the quoted Shell metacharacters. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Expr returns the following exit codes: 0 if the expression is neither null nor `0', 1 if the expression is null or `0', 2 for invalid expressions. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 EXPR(1)