Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: quick sed question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting quick sed question Post 302095745 by vbm on Thursday 9th of November 2006 09:11:50 PM
Old 11-09-2006
quick sed question

hey,

Im just wondering is there away to get sed to read from a variable
eg
Quote:
$STRING="cat"

sed -e "s/cat/dog/g" "$STRING"
it doesn't seem to work, i really need to be able to recursively change the same data set...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Quick Question

Wat is the difference between the cp mv ln etc in /usr/sbin/static and cp mv ln functions in /usr/bin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quick VI question

This "SHOULD" be a simple question, but looking through several books has turned up nothing, so I turn once again to the experts!! How do you vi a file so that you can see special characters. I believe my /etc/passwd file is being corrupted during an upgrade process, however the files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Recon
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question

hi guys trying to understand what this line means sed is a stream editor and i understand that, i have a file already selected i want to edit so i use -e sed -e the next stesp is s/$* s is a subsititute replacement sed -e s/$*//g $ is in reference of the last line /g makes it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamoudzz
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another quick question

Hi guys sed -e "s/$<//g" the $< can allow me to assign an input value to the variable right? do the double quotes check the previous context? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamoudzz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question

from command prompt I did grep two words on a same line for eg: grep abc | grep xyz and I got tht particular line, but I want to know when I vi that file how to directly search for that particular line? I appreciate if any one can provide answer, thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkolishetty
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

a quick SED question

I have a line EXTDIR=`echo $i | sed 's/\-tar.gz//'` which looks for files ending in -tar.gz, i would like to increase the functionality so that it looks for .tar.gz files as well as -tar.gz. Do i put the - in square brackets with a dot ? like this EXTDIR=`echo $i | sed 's/\tar.gz//'` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Question on sed command in shell script

Hello, I have the following line in one of my shell scripts. It works fine when the search string($SERACH_STR) exists in the logfile($ALERTLOG) but if the search string does not exist this line errors out at run time. Is there a way to make this line return 0 if it is not able to find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Sed Question

Just want to know why when I do the following in sed, the required is not extracted. echo "ab01cde234" | sed 's/*$//' result: ab01cde (Which is correct) echo "ab01cde234" |sed 's/.*\(*\)$/\1/' result: blank (was expecting 234) or echo "ab01cde234" |sed 's/.*\(\)*$/\1/' result: blank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick sed/awk question

Hi fellow linux-ers, I have a quick question for you. I have the following text, which I would like to modify: 10 121E(121) 16 Jan 34S 132E 24 Feb 42 176E(176) 18 Sep 21S 164E 25 May 15 171W(-171) 09 Jul How can I do the following 2 modifications using sed and/or awk? 1. in 1st column,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
1 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)