Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to write messages to Multilple users Post 302095513 by pbsrinivas on Wednesday 8th of November 2006 12:10:26 AM
Old 11-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberteu
I assume that you only want a particular group to receive the message. Do:

[B]man wall

Read about the -g option which allows you to broadcast to a specified group.

Hope this helps.
Thanks gilberteu for the wall -g command but

I do not want to send to every one in group
any how

who | grep -E "user1|user2|user3" | tr -s " " ""| cut -f 2 -d " " > temp

gave all the terminal the required users logged on to and then

cat Temp | while ln=`line`
do
echo "Message to Send" | tee /dev/$ln
done

sends the message to all required terminal

tee /dev/pts/15 send message to person logged on pts/15

Thanks zazzybob
the tee was quite helpful

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wall, Write, select users, pipe a text file, HELP Before I'm Bald!

OK... I'm fairly new to unix having the admin handed to me on a platter w/almost no training. However, being a programmer, I do pick up things fairly easily, but this one is getting the best of me. I have a unix server that runs multiple versions of the same ERP system, hand crafted for our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimodel
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

3. Solaris

giving write access to selective users to a certain directory in solaris 10

Hi all, how can i grant write access to a selective users only with write access to a certain filesystem/directory in solaris 10. Please help..i tried "fs setacl"...does not seem to work Please adv..thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Sending Messages to Users

How can I send messages to users who are logged in unto the server with Solaris 9 OS without going into the application? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to return multilple values in perl

hello friends, i have written one perl script.Which opens a file and search for some parameter's value and gets the status of these parameters. but while i am trying to return these value always i am getting false. Can any one please help me.. here is that function: =======================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
5 Replies

7. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a UNIX script to send a mail to the respective individual users about their groups?

Hi Team, I got a requirement to send a mail to the individual users of a unix server about their respective groups. can some one help me to provide the script as I am unable to write that. I tried with below lines but I come out with errors. cat /etc/passwd | awk -F':' '{ print $1}' |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshabag
6 Replies
WRITE(1)                                                    BSD General Commands Manual                                                   WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD February 13, 2012 BSD