Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to bring up Sun OS
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to bring up Sun OS Post 302094312 by BOFH on Thursday 26th of October 2006 03:06:00 PM
Old 10-26-2006
The remote_login_passwordfile is an Oracle item, isn't it? If so, it sounds like rebooting it either hosed it up or there's something mucked up in /etc/vfstab (for example). If you're not able to log in to the system itself then yea, you'll need to find a boot CD and figure out what got hosed.

Carl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

unable to bring up any interface

I have Linux 7.1 setup on a Dell and am unable to bring up any interfaces. Both the lo and eth0 fail upon boot up and I get a insmod error possibly due to bad irq or IO setting. If I disable eth0 upon boot, then lo works fine, but offcourse I get the "delaying initialization" upon boot for eth0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alam
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Unable to telnet into the Sun server

I tried to telnet to my Sun server (E250) but I received the error message : "Network error: Connection reset by peer". I was able to ping my server. And, I had already commented off "CONSOLE=/dev/console" in /etc/default/login. But, if I rlogin from all other servers, it works. Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dawn_lwf
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to Log In to Sun NIS server

Greetings, I have recently inherited 3 sun servers from a shop that my parent company closed. One of these servers is an old Ultra 1 running SunOS 5.6 that acts as a NIS server for the other two servers. This NIS server seems to boot OK and function properly as a NIS server. However, I can't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SevenFortyOne
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to send mail, on sun solaris

hi experts, I m new to the sun solaris. on our OS (sun solaris 5.8) i m trying to send mail but i not getting any mail, i have tried doing following . $mailx -s "Test" sivakumars@kesd.com But no response there no error also... pls let me know: 1) How can test sending mail through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saisivakumar
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to bring a disk from error to online state.

Hello experts. I am using Solaris 10(2005) on intel machine. I have installed Veritas Volume manager 5.0. I am unable to bring a disk error to online state. I would like to bring that disk to CDS format. Commands i used and output are.... #vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
11 Replies

6. Solaris

sun 8 unable to communicate through console

Hi : I have a e450 sun server that I just started up and I connect my laptop to the serial connection using a null modem cable and it just does not connect. I use hyperterminal, I dont connect a keyboard to the sun machine? Any ideas? Thanks a lot Al (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanj4
3 Replies

7. Hardware

Sun 280R unable to boot

I have a problem with one of my Sun 280R servers. I'm unable to boot it. I've managed to get to the {ok} prompt from the RSC card. Please see output below ok show-devs /virtual-memory /memory /aliases /options /openprom /chosen /packages /openprom/client-services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to bring iscsitgt service to online

this is samiulla in my vmware solaris 11 i installed iscsitgt pakage but it goes to maintenance and i am unable to bring into online with svcadm clear iscsitgt how can i forcefully online iscsitgt service. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samiulla
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to connect sun server.

Hi, I am unable to connect sun server, server model is sun fire v440 on server 2 ports are there. serial management, and network management. I would like to know how to connect serial port if I dont have com port on my system? and on Network Management no ip address is configured. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD